stay

SEBASTIAN SAT QUIETLY at the park bench across the street from the coffee shop. He was waiting patiently on Reyna to arrive, all while wondering exactly why she had wanted to meet him in the first place, especially with the kids present. Part of him wanted to believe it was for a good reason, but a much bigger part of him knew it was the complete opposite.

Several cars made their way down the street in front of him, though one of them managed to catch his attention. It was a slick black Range Rover, and it slowed down as it neared the coffee shop. Sebastian watched as it found a parking space across the street, and before he knew it, the driver's side door was opening to reveal the woman he had spent most of his life loving. He wanted to get up from his seat and rush over to greet her, but he couldn't bring himself to do so. It was as if he was glued to the park bench, or the nauseating feeling inside his stomach was weighing him down.

Sebastian watched as Reyna pulled the back door open, and it was then he was met with the voices of his two kids. Reyna pulled both of them from the car and sat them down on the ground, grabbing both of their hands before they had the chance to run off. After waiting on a few cars to head passed them, Reyna pulled the two overly excited kids across the street, only letting go of them when she found that it was safe to do so.

Mariana and Theo ran to their father without hesitation, and Sebastian smiled at the two of them as he hoisted them up and onto his lap. Reyna bit her lip as she watched their interaction, and she took a seat at the opposite end of the bench. Sebastian looked over at her and his smile dropped slightly, his blue eyes filling with sadness.

"Hey, guys," Sebastian spoke to the two children. "Why don't you two go and play while I talk to your mommy?"

"Okay," Theo answered as he hopped off of Sebastian's lap.

He ran towards the playground, leaving a frowning Mariana running after him. Sebastian looked away from them to look back at Reyna, who was already looking at him. There were so many things going through her mind at the moment and she couldn't stand it. She couldn't stand the fact that she loved and hated Sebastian at the same time; she couldn't stand that she wanted to kiss him and punch him at the same time; she couldn't stand that she wanted to cry because of him and smile because of him at the same time. It was the reason why she needed to get away—the reason why she couldn't bear to be within the same vicinity as him any longer.

"Why did you want to meet me here?" Sebastian asked nervously.

Reyna let out a breath and began digging through her purse for what she was looking for. Once she found it, she pulled it out and held it out to him. "To give you these."

Sebastian eyed the set of keys curiously as he removed them from her hands. "W-what do these go to?"

"The condo I rented out," Reyna answered him quietly.

Sebastian frowned as he looked back up at her. "Why are you giving me these?"

"Because I'm leaving," she breathed out. "I'm going back home."

"Reyna, please don't leave me," Sebastian said as his eyes began to well up with tears.

"I can't be with you right now, Sebastian," Reyna forced out.

Sebastian ran a hand over his face and looked down at the set of keys in his hands. "Please don't go. I've been waiting three months to get you back."

"I'm sure you have," Reyna muttered sarcastically, more-so to herself than to Sebastian. He still heard her, though, and he looked up at her with tear-filled eyes.

"Don't you dare pull that shit with me again, Reyna. You know damn well the only thing I thought about for the last three months was getting to see you," Sebastian remarked.

"Then why did you kiss her?" Reyna countered angrily. "I didn't come here to argue with you, Sebastian, okay? I came here to drop the kids off so I could get the hell away from here."

Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows at her. "You're leaving them with me?"

Reyna nodded and ran a hand through her tousled blonde hair. "They miss having you around."

"Do you?"

"Of course I do," Reyna answered him quietly.

"Then stay," Sebastian said. "Please just stay, Reyna—stay with me."

Reyna swallowed the lump in her throat and shook her head. "I can't do it, Sebastian. I can hardly sit here and talk to you without wanting to break down, but for the sake of Mariana and Theo I don't really have much of a choice."

"This shouldn't be happening," Sebastian sniffed, "Our anniversary—it's in three weeks."

"Which I'll be spending alone," Reyna spoke absentmindedly.

Sebastian wiped the tears from his eyes and shook his head, turning his attention towards the playground where Mariana and Theo were now running away from. The two children hurried over to their parents, Theo climbing onto Sebastian's lap and Mariana climbing onto Reyna's.

"We saw a scary lookin' man, so we ran away," Theo exclaimed breathlessly, causing both Reyna and Sebastian to tighten their grips around either child in their lap.

"Nu-mi place, mami (I don't like, mommy)," Mariana followed as she nestled herself into her mom's chest.

A sigh escaped Reyna and she held Mariana closer to her, wrapping both of her arms around her daughter's body.

"When are you leaving, mama?" Theo asked her from his spot on Sebastian's lap.

"Here in a minute," she answered.

Mariana looked up at her. "Then you're gonna be alone. I don't want you to be alone, mommy."

"I'll be fine," Reyna assured her, though even she wasn't too sure of her own words.

"Can I come with you?" Mariana asked with hopeful blue eyes.

"Are you sure you don't wanna stay with your dad?"

Mariana nodded and hugged Reyna tighter. "I love daddy, but I don't want you to be alone."

Reyna looked to Sebastian, who was watching the two of them with so much love and admiration in his eyes.

"It's okay," Sebastian assured her. "Theo and I will be okay."

"Why can't we all be together?" Theo frowned, glancing back and forth between his parents. "Why can't Mariana and mommy just stay with us?"

"Because mommy has some things to handle," Sebastian told him as he tried to keep himself composed. "She'll be back soon, though, and then we can all be together again."

"Do you promise?"

Sebastian nodded and fixed his gaze on Reyna before answering, "I promise."

_______________

I MIGHT BE KILLING Y'ALL, BUT I AM ALSO KILLING MY OWN SELF AS WELL