The Naming

As the Moon dipped its head at the return of the Sun, Silverkit lay and watched on the moss of the healer's den. Her mind was teeming with the memories of her kithood- Tankit, Kestrelwing, Creamkit excelling in Leadership, her first catch-- as she fully realized that she and her siblings were to become Trainees today. Just her, Creamkit, and Greykit. Her sleep had been broken as she tried to grasp this fact. Brownkit is gone.

She was so deep in thought, in fact, that she did not hear the pawsteps approach. A tentative tail prodded her side, jerking back when its owner realized it had poked one of her wounds. "Sorry, Silverkit. Are you awake?" There was the sound of paws scuffling on the floor of the den, and some quiet mumblings. "Of course she is now. I hurt her. Oh, she'll hate me now..."

The grey she-cat felt a purr rising in her throat. She knew that self-deprecating attitude well. "Hello, Greykit. It's alright. I was already awake. Why are you here? Only the dawn patrol is awake now." And me, she added silently.

Greykit sat down and curled his tail around his paws. "It's the Naming," he admitted. "I just couldn't sleep. I've done so bad in Testing, there's no way I'm going anywhere other than the Servant's Den."

Silverkit flicked her tail and purred weakly, remembering the horrors of Battle Testing. "I didn't do much better," she mewed.

"We're pretty even on fighting," Greykit allowed, "but your hunting skill are superb."

"They're not--" Silverkit began.

"Don't be a mousebrain. You come back with at least one piece of freshkill practically every time we hunt."

Silverkit licked her chest fur in embarrassment. "I suppose that's true, but I'm nowhere near Creamkit's level in Battle and Leadership."

"You're still going to be a hunter," Greykit mewed. "I just came here to ask...well, when I'm a servant, will you still talk to me?"

"Of course! Is that even a question?"

Greykit purred in relief. "I suppose not, but I still had to ask."

Silverkit purred as well. "How did you get here, anyway? I thought the kits were supposed to stay on the other side of the river."

Greykit ducked his head. "I snuck out."

"Without being caught?"

Greykit looked away. "Well, a Fighter saw me, but I just told him I was going to see my litttermate. He seemed fine with that."

"Well, I'm glad--"

She cut off her mew as the litttermates heard a mew from outside the den. "All cats old enough to serve meet under the Great Tree!"

It's time already? thought Silverkit incredulously. She and Greykit must have been talking for longer than she thought.

"I guess it's time," Greykit mewed, turning to look at her. A flash of doubt clouded his eyes. "Are you becoming a Trainee today? You're still injured." His gaze lingered on the cut above her eyes, which had healed enough to not need cobwebs.

Silverkit bobbed her head. "I am. Moonblaze says I'm healed enough...but I shouldn't do anything too stressful." She breathed deeply through her nose. You can do this. Nothing bad will happen. It's just the Naming Ceremony. No blood there...I think.

"Let's go, then," mewed Greykit, stepping out of the den.

The light grey soon-to-be-Trainee breathed in once more and padded out of the den after her brother. Nothing will happen, she repeated. She had almost convinced herself, but this was abandoned as she saw the Clan waiting under the Great Tree. There are so many of them...

As SIlverkit struggled to keep her fur flat, Daisyflower leapt gracefully off the tree and addressed the Clan. "We are gathered here to witness a momentous event. Three Testees are ready for their Naming Ceremonies." She fixed SIlverkit, Greykit, and Creamkit, who she had just noticed was beside her, a serious look. "Do you understand, young ones, that this ceremony will dictate your future- your treatment, your role, and your position in FloraClan society?"

Silverkit ducked her head, feeling sick. She somehow managed to nod, and saw her siblings do the same.

"Then the Ceremony will begin," mewed Daisyflower, taking her place back up on the Great Tree and glancing at Marigoldflower. At her nod, Poppyflower, Roseflower, and Ashbranch leapt down from the Great Tree. Poppyflower stepped towards Creamkit.

"Creamkit, for six moons you have been Tested to determine your abilities and which Rank you should be placed in. Your Tester and the other Leaders have conferred, and we have determined your Rank. Creamkit, do you promise, on the Sun and Moon, to remain faithful to the Den of Leaders unto death, and to serve your elders to the best of your abilities?"

Creamkit inhaled sharply, but Silverkit was sure it was an act. Her ever-confident sister, nervous?"I-I do."

"Then by the powers granted to me by my position, and by the power of the Sun and Moon, your name will be Irispaw. You shall never abandon your Den, and will reside with the Den of Lesser Leaders until death, motherhood, or promotion. Heatherblossom, you are ready to recieve your first Trainee. I trust that you will pass down all you know to her."

Heatherblossom stepped forward and touched noses with her new Trainee, looking elate.

So Creamkit- no, Irispaw, is a Leader, thought Silverkit. No surprises there... She turned to see that Roseflower had approached her.

"Silverkit, for six moons you have been Tested to determine your abilities and which Rank you should be placed in. Your Tester and the other Leaders have conferred, and we have determined your Rank. Silverkit, do you promise, on the Sun and Moon, to remain faithful to the Den of Hunters and Warriors unto death, and to serve your elders to the best of your abilities?"

I'm a Hunter! Unless I'm a Warrior...oh, she's waiting for me to reply! "I do."

"Then by the powers granted to me by my position, and by the power of the Sun and Moon, your name will be Robinpaw. You shall never abandon your Den, and will reside with the Den of Hunter and Warriors until death or motherhood. Foxtail, you are ready to receive your second Trainee. I trust that you will pass down all you know to her."

Robinpaw turned nervously as Foxtail stepped out of the crowd. My mentor... She stepped forward and they touched noses, Robinpaw's terrified yellow eyes meeting Foxtail's reassuring yellow-green ones. Robinpaw felt a little better. I'm not her first trainee, so she has experience. And Foxtail seems nice...unlike some of my littermates. Her head snapped around as she remembered that Greykit's Rank still had to be determined. Sure enough, Ashbranch had stepped forward and begun reciting the words.

"Greykit, for six moons you have been Tested to determine your abilities and which Rank you should be placed in. Your Tester and the other Leaders have conferred, and we have determined your Rank. Greykit, do you promise, on the Sun and Moon, to remain faithful to the Den of Servants unto death, and to serve your elders to the best of your abilities?"

Robinpaw ducked her head sadly. He was a servant. She quickly looked back up. It's fine. Greykit was expecting this role. I shouldn't feel sad for him. Her tail drooped. Though I hoped...

"I do," mewed Greykit with no hesitation.

"Then by the powers granted to me by my position, and by the power of the Sun and Moon, your name will be Graypaw. You shall never abandon your Den, and will reside with the Den of Hunter and Warriors until death." The dark grey tom turned to the rest of the Clan, searching out a cat in the back. "Whitefur, you are ready to receive your second Trainee. I trust that you will pass down all your knowledge of servitude to him."

Whitefur padded forward reluctantly, his different colored eyes glinting with defeat. The two toms touched noses. Graypaw gave a weak purr, and Robinpaw could just hear his mew. "I promise to be the best apprentice that I can."

Whitefur purred as well. "As long as you can serve, you will do well in this Den." He stepped back as Graypaw rejoined his littermates, his walk slightly less stiff.

"Robinpaw! Irispaw! Greypaw!" FloraClan's cries rang out as the new silver apprentice shrank back into Graypaw. I'm a Hunter, she reminded herself, standing up a bit taller. No blood. So all is well...