The Flower

Robinpaw yawned and opened her eyes.

She turned to greet Thrushnose, then a pang shot through her when she remembered that she was on the other side of the den now. Even after a couple days, it was still strange to wake up without the white-furred she-cat beside her.

She sighed and turned in her nest, accidentally flicking the golden-furred tom beside her, who, despite her protests, had insisted to sit next to her.

She prayed to the Sun and Moon she hadn't woken him. She tensed nervously, but his breathing remained steady, and her heartbeat returned to normal.

Finally, she began to drift off once more, only to be awaken by her least favorite cat.

"Hey," whispered a voice next to her. "You awake?"

The silver she-cat whipped around to see Leopardpaw stretching. A flash of unfounded annoyance came through her, and it was all she could do to not snap at him. "Yes."

He purred. "Good. Wanna hunt with me?"

Part of Robinpaw wanted desperately to say no, but the other part insisted that she ought to give Leopardpaw a chance. She exhaled. "Fine."

"Great!" mewed Leopardpaw. He stood up, tail lashing excitedly. "Let's go!"

Robinpaw followed her golden-furred denmate, not crazy excited. "Why do you want to hunt anyway? You're a fighter."

He shook his head. "No, I'm not."

What? "Really? But your mentor is a fighter!"

He flicked his tail. "Well, my actual mentor is Kestrelflight," he mewed. "But she's being investigated for her possible part in Tankit's death and your...uh, torture."

Robinpaw blinked. "What?"

He nodded. "Yeah, the other ones declined. Larkfoot and Thrushnose are still too young, Harewing is retiring soon, Deerleg and Moletail's trainees just became full members and Ratmuzzle is expecting kits."

"Oh."

"Yeah, so I'll be training with you and your mentor. Crowclaw is just my mentor in name. A substitute, per se." The golden tom looked a little shocked that she was so confused. "Didn't you know this?"

Robinpaw shook her head, feeling her fur heat slightly. "No one told me."

He flicked his tail. "Well, alright then. Are we going to hunt, or not?"

"We are," mewed Foxtail, causing the two trainees to spin around. "Bird hunting." She paused, studying the new trainee closely. "It's harder than it seems."

Leopardpaw just smirked. "I'm sure I'll get something."

Robinpaw had to fight back the purr that threatened to escape her muzzle. She knew that she was an exceptionally good bird hunter, and even she had trouble on her first bird hunt.

Her annoyance of Leopardpaw resurged, the confusion of the previous conversation melting away and remembering the look he'd given her. His smug blue gaze met hers, a challenge sparkling in them.

This was going to be fun.

~----------------------------------------------~

They had until sunhigh.

Tilting her head slightly and swiveling her ears, Robinpaw listened for the calls of any birds. Silence-- then a faint twitter in the distance.

Ahead and to the right.

Robinpaw placed her paws carefully on the ground, making doubly sure that no leaves were in her way. She wasn't as worried about the weight of her pawsteps, but she was still careful that he didn't disturb some mouse that would, in turn, alert the bird.