The Snow

As the three cats walked toward the Training ground, it began to snow.

It was a light snow, the first of the season, and it melted as soon as it hit the warm ground.

But it was still snow.

Robinpaw fluffed out her fur to guard against the chill while staring at the snow in wonder. It wasn't like she hadn't seen snow before-- she had, as a kit (or was it testee? She couldn't remember) but that was so long ago. It felt like so long ago.

Leopardpaw, on the other paw, had barely seen snow in his life.

He wrinkled his nose as a snowflake landed on it, then sneezed loudly and purred. He puffed out his fur and shivered as the snow landed on it, but his excitement was evident.

The golden tom pranced around like a kit, only subsiding when Foxtail whacked him lightly with her tail. Even then, though, he looked around with excitement.

He was entranced.

And why wouldn't he be? It was snow.

The first snow.

It shouldn't have surprised her, really. The water had been freezing cold-- even though it wasn't frozer, it was close to it.

Foxtail almost looked tempted to call the training off, but she only sighed and kept walking. Robinpaw noted, however, that there was an almost imperceptible bounce in her step.

It was leaf-bare.

However, that suddenly reminded Robinpaw of how much harder it would be to find prey. No wonder Leopardpaw had been made a Hunter, despite his lack of a mentor. They'd starve without him.

"Foxtail," she called, walking up beside her mentor. "Are we going to be able to catch enough?"

Foxtail shook her head. "Actually, the Servants come and help us this time of year. The good ones, anyway."

Robinpaw's ears pricked. "Really?" Would Greypaw come?

Foxtail nodded. "Yep."

They walked in silence for a moment, and Robinpaw shivered as a gust of wind blew through her fur. It was cold.

Of course, she thought. It's snowing!

They were at the Training ground now, and Robinpaw hadn't even noticed them pass the Testing place. How strange. And how strangely nice.

I hope you're proud of me, Tankit.

She shook her head sharply. What was she thinking? Her ancestors couldn't see her!

Moonblaze's stories flashed in her memory.

"Every cat comes from either the Sun or the Moon," mewed the Healer as Robinpaw and her four siblings sat quietly. "The cats of the Sun are the ones in positions of Leadership, and the Moon are the ones who follow them."

Silverkit nodded, looking up at the moon outside. I wonder what it's like up there...

Greykit spoke up suddenly. "What happens when we die?"

"When we die, we join with the Sun or the Moon, happy and complete at last."

Creamkit stretched as Moonblaze exited the nursery. "I'm going to be with the Sun."

Brownkit rolled her eyes. "Suuuure."

Tankit purred and hit Silverkit with his tail. "As long as I'm with my favorite littermate, I don't care."