The Secret

As far as Robinear could tell, being a full member wasn't a lot different than being a trainee.

She still hunted, still deferred to the Leaders-- the only difference was that she now has a nest next to Thrushnose.

Not that she was complaining about that part.

The silver tabby yawned and stretched, then looked around for a hunting partner. Another difference between full members and trainees: trainees didn't have a minimum amount of prey to bring in. Full members did.

Thrushnose was still sleeping, and Robinear didn't really want to wake her. Instead, she made eye contact with Quailwhisker, who nodded. The two she-cats walked out of the den before beginning a conversation.

"Where do you want to go?" Quailwhisker asked.

Robinear flicked her tail. "I don't know...we should probably check with the Leaders, though. See if they have any prey requests."

Quailwhisker nodded in agreement, quickly walking toward the two Leader's dens, Robinear at her tail.

"Yes?" Marigoldflower poked her head out of the female Leader's den.

"Quailwhisker and Robinear, going on a hunt, Leader of the Flowers." Quailwhisker dipped her head in respect. "Do you have any prey requests?"

Marigoldflower paused, then turned back into the den. "Any requests?"

There was a pause before someone called back: "Birds?"

Robinear bit back a sigh of disappointment. Birds? We'll be out there all day...

Marigoldflower nodded. "Birds." She saw them turn toward the male Leader's den, and hurriedly added: "They're in here too. Just birds."

Robinear and Quailwhisker nodded and turned away from the den. They left the camp and headed toward Miracle Grove.

"Birds," grumbled Quailwhisker. "Why birds?"

Robinear flicker her tail. "They just wanted some, I guess."

Quailwhisker sighed. "I suppose."

They lapsed into a comfortable silence, simply walking toward the grove.

Finally, Robinear felt the urge to break it. "Where's Owltalon?"

Quailwhisker turned to face her, seeming surprised by the question. "Oh, he's guarding the Lesser Leader's den."

"Oh." A pause, then: "Is he the reason you were so grumpy during training?"

Quailwhisker ducked her head and nodded. "Partly. But the main reason..." She suddenly fell silent, gesturing toward Miracle Grove.

Birdsong.

They were both dead silent as they approached the grove, paws barely seeming to brush the ground.

The key to being silent, Robinear thought, was trying to not touch the ground.

She heard the birdsong again, and she swivled her ears, trying to pin its location. Quailwhisker, on the other paw, had her nose twitching. She was trying to scent it.

The bird twittered again, and Quailwhisker and Robinear's heads both turned to the creature in unison. Robinear nodded slightly in Quailwhisker's direction, and the tortoiseshell crept quietly forward.

In a flutter of feathers, the bird alighted on the ground. It was a swallow, and it pecked insistently at something on the ground.

Robinear was so fascinated by the bird's actions that she nearly forgot Quailwhisker was stalking it. The tortoiseshell hunter leapt and landed squarely on it, then dropped it proudly on the ground.