The Trout

Robinpaw was beginning to regret her promise to Leopardpaw.

It was actually remarkably difficult to stop from lashing out at him instinctively-- she had no idea why, it was just this feeling of being hunted or being attacked. She couldn't explain it-- especially since he'd been so nice to her as of late.

Well, mostly nice, anyway.

"Good morning, beautiful," he yawned, getting up and stretching. He froze when she fixed him with a glare, then hastily apologized. "Sorry, sorry. I meant Robinpaw."

Thrushnose stirred from her side of the den and got up. "What is it...?" Her eyes brightened when she met Robinpaw's, but narrowed in a scowl when she saw Leopardpaw. She wasn't quite as forgiving as her friend for his earlier behavior.

Robinpaw was starting to think that she had the right idea.

"Hey, you two. We're going to teach you fishing!" Foxtail's excited mew was quite unexpected-- she wasn't normally an early rise.

And fishing?

Leopardpaw's ears twitched in excitement. "Cool!" 

Robinpaw couldn't help agreeing; she didn't know how to fish, either. There wasn't really much of a demand for it, but a leader would occasionally ask for one, and it was their job to catch one for them.

Thrushnose, however, didn't really share her excitement. "Can I come with?" She looked suspiciously at Leopardpaw, and it didn't take a genius to figure out the rest of her unspoken statement: I don't trust him alone with you.

The silver trainee brightened, feeling her fur heat up a bit. She cares about me!

Foxtail nodded. "Yes. Thank you, Thrushnose," she mewed fervently. "Sun and Moon help me watch over two young, inexperienced fishers."

Thrushnose's cold demeanor melted a bit. "No problem, Foxtail."

Leopardpaw leapt up, quivering with excitement. "So what are we waiting for, then?" Without waiting for an answer, he began running off towards the stream.

The three cats purred. "I remember when I had that energy," sighed Foxtail wistfully. She turned her head to Thrushnose, dipping it in amusement. "Now you get why I want Kestrelflight cleared?"

Thrushnose nodded. "Poor Foxtail. Two crazy trainees!" She bumped Robinpaw jokingly.

An annoyed shout came from up ahead. "Hey! Where are you? I'm already here!"

"Serves you right for running off before us!" called back Robinpaw.

Foxtail and Thrushnose exchanged glances. "Well, we probably should get moving."

Robinpaw nodded. She didn't need to be told twice-- she took off as fast as her legs could carry her.

"Wait! That's not what I meant--" called Foxtail.

Behind her, she could hear Thrushnose's amused purrs.

~----------------------------------------------~

"No, no, no Leopardpaw! Don't let your shadow fall on the water! Get on this side! I need to demonstrate!"

Leopardpaw was on the opposite side of the stream, a lazy purr in his voice. "But I want to be across from Robinpaw!"

"Do you think the fish care? No, they don't. Now get to the other side of the fox-dunged stream!" Thrushnose sounded on the edge of losing her patience completely and attacking Leopardpaw-- not something Robinpaw would've complained about.

Leopardpaw let out an exaggerated sigh. "Please?"

Thrushnose rolled her eyes and walked slightly upstream from Leopardpaw, ignoring him. She focused instead on the fish swimming towards her that she was using to demonstrate. She almost had it, but--