The Willow

Robinpaw felt sick.

The anger and fury she'd felt earlier had faded, to be replaced with a chilling realization that she'd seen two cats die.

In front of her.

And she hadn't done anything to help.

Foxtail had, kindly, given her the day off. She knew how much this would affect Robinpaw, and she couldn't have been more right.

The silver she-cat sighed from her place along the rock wall of the den, shivering violently.

I didn't help them...I didn't help them...just like Tankit...I'm a terrible cat...

"Robin? Robinpaw?"

Robinpaw met the eyes of her closest friend. "Hi, Thrushnose," she sighed.

Thrushnose sat down next to her. "You need to stop blaming yourself," she mewed.

Robinpaw just flicked her tail. "How can I do that, when I didn't even try to stop it?"

"They would've killed them anyway!"

Robinpaw winced at Thrushnose's blunt words, but knew she was right. No matter what she'd done, they would've died. The only difference was she might have been killed with them.

"I don't want you to die," mewed Thrushnose softly, burying her nose in Robinpaw's fur. Robinpaw felt her fur grow suddenly hot.

"I don't either," she whispered back, pressing her nose into hers.

They stayed like that for a bit, jumping suddenly when Rowantwig and his trainee walked by. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?"

Robinpaw's blood ran cold. It must look like...he must think that...

Willowpaw turned to his mentor. "A forbidden relationship?"

"It seems so," replied Rowantwig.

Thrushnose glared at him. "Of course not, you idiot," she mewed. "We're just friends."

Robinpaw felt a pang run through her heart. Does she really not care about me?

"Robinpaw was sure she felt blood on her fur; I was just helping her." She lowered her voice. "Suppressed memories from Testing."

Rowantwig nodded in understanding. "I see. There seem to be a lot of those..." He started walking away, before stopped and turning back. "Go to Moonblaze if it gets too bad."

Thrushnose dipped her head. "Understood."

Suppressed memories?

"Come on, Willowpaw!"

Robinpaw then noticed, suddenly, that Willowpaw hadn't moved. He was facing her, mouth open like he wanted to speak, but shut it abruptly and followed this mentor.

Huh. That was strange...

Thrushnose's words seemed to claw across her face.

Was that how little she cared about her?

She stalked away angrily toward her den.

"Robinpaw! Wait!"

It was too late. Robinpaw collapsed onto her moss bed and wrapped her tail around her eye.

Save it, Thrushnose. It's not like you even care about me.

Somehow, she managed to fall asleep.

~----------------------------------------------~

"Robinpaw? Robinpaw, wake up!"

Robinpaw's eyes blinked open at the voice of her over-excited denmate, annoyance coursing through her as she noted the darkness outside.