The Vigil

The death of two of the Leaders came suddenly.

Really, it shouldn't have surprised her. Marigoldflower had been old as long as Robinear could remember, and Ashbranch had always winced when jumping on and off the great tree.

But their deaths, occurring only moments apart, were still huge shocks to the Clan.

"Oh Leaders of the Trees and Flowers, may your spirits rise and rest in the embrace of the Leader," mewed Moonblaze, head bowed in respect. 

"May you rest in peace," repeated the Clan. They were in a circle around the two bodies, and Robinear sat near the back. Her belly was ridiculously huge now, and a kit inside gave a violent kick.

Robinear shifted uncomfortably, her tail sweeping the ground with annoyance. The dirt blew up in Oakbranch's face. She shot him an apologetic glance and he glared at her, but didn't speak. It was a ceremony, after all.

That'll be a problem later, she sighed.

"May your memories live on in all our hearts, and may the Lesser Leaders select worthy replacements," continued the Healer. "Lesser Leaders, do you swear to select worthy members to replace the fallen Leaders?"

"We shall," mewed the Lesser Leaders in unison.

"The three Elder Leaders of the Trees, please name your candidates," mewed Moonblaze. "Pinebranch, please start."

Robinear blinked. She'd never attended a Leader's death before, but apparently the new Leader selection happened awfully fast.

The oldest of the living Leaders, Pinebranch, stepped forward. "Birchtwig," he mewed without hesitation.

There were murmurs of approval from the Clan-- Birchtwig was a senior member of the Lesser Leaders and had had two apprentices.

Moonblaze nodded her head. "Birchtwig?"

Birchtwig stepped forward. "I accept the nomination."

The black-furred Healer nodded her head. "Good. Maplebranch?"

The light brown tom raised his voice. "Aldertwig," he called.

There were mutters of surprise from the Clan-- Aldertwig was a fairly young choice, but perhaps that was what the Clan needed.

"I accept the nomination," mewed Aldertwig.

Finally, Moonblaze turned to the second-youngest Leader. "Oakbranch?"

Oakbranch stepped forward, opened his mouth, then frowned at Birchtwig. Clearly, he'd been his choice as well. "Willowtwig."

No!

Willowtwig dipped his head. "I accept the nomination."

Now the murmurs of surprise were more outspoken. Willowtwig was very young, and quite arrogant as well. Surely no one in their right minds would elect him Leader.

Of course, Robinear wasn't completely convinced that FloraClan was sane.

Now, Moonblaze turned to the female Leaders. "The three Elder Leaders of the Flowers, please name your candidates," mewed Moonblaze. "Poppyflower, please start."

The ginger she-cat stepped forward, then mewed her choice without hesitation. "Irisblossom."

Her sister?

Irisblossom seemed nearly as shocked as she did. "I-I accept the nomination," she called, her voice shaking.

Moonblaze dipped her head to Roseflower, inviting her to speak.