The Story

My kits, thought Robinear, are the best gift the Sun and Moon have given me.

Yellowkit and Whitekit lay at her side, slumbering peacefully. The moon's rays shone into the den, framing Yellowkit's peaceful form, and all seemed happy. The den was quiet and roomier as well, Gingerfur's kits having begun Testing.

All in all, it was wonderful.

The sound of pawsteps outside the nursery caused Robinear's ears to perk up in curiosity. She turned her head slightly to see the entrance.

A small grey cat poked his head in, and Robinear stood up slowly, careful not to touch her slumbering kits. "Greyfur?" she asked. In her time living in the nursery, she'd perfected the art of speaking in barely a whisper.  

Greyfur's eyes nodded, gesturing outside with his tail. 

Robinear blinked and padded out of the den. "What is it?" she asked curiously.

Greyfur glanced around cautiously. "Can you keep a secret?" he breathed.

Robinear nodded, curious. "Of course! You're my brother, Greyfur." She tilted her head slightly to the side. What could he be so cautious about?

Greyfur swallowed. "I've...I've joined the rebellion."

A jolt of fear shot through Robinear, and she backed away from her brother. Had he brought her here to kill her? To kill her kits? 

Greyfur's expression fell. "No! I don't want to hurt you!" he assured her. "I just wanted to ask...would you like to join as well?"

Robinear shook her head. "No, no. I'm happy here. I have two kits, Thrushnose, and friends...I don't have a death wish."

Her brother sighed. "But don't you want to fight back against the cats who killed our brother? Who let Willowbranch take you without batting an eye?"

Robinear blinked, a bit of hesitation entering her tone. "N-no. I'm fine."

"Fine," sighed Greyfur. "Just...just don't turn me in, right?"

Robinear nodded. "I promise."

Greyfur's tense muscles relaxed slightly. "Thanks, Robinear." He began to turn away before pausing. "If you change your mind, though..."

Robinear shook her head. I won't, she thought, but with a bit of doubt.

"...then you can meet us in the Great Field."

The Great Field...

Robinear's mind flashed back to the rogue she'd met in the woods, the one she'd been convinced would kill her. "Do...do you know a she-cat named Primrose?" she asked hesitantly.

Greyfur spun around, surprised, and nodded. "What about her?"

"I met her in the woods," Robinear admitted.

Greyfur tipped his head, interested. "Hm, interesting."

Robinear waited for him to continue, but he said nothing more. "I guess I'll see you later," she mewed.

Greyfur nodded. "Until then," he mewed, crossing the tree-bridge quickly.

Sighing, Robinear curled back up in her den, her slumbering kits beside her, and feel asleep, her mind still whirling with the conversation she'd just had. 

~----------------------------------------------~

That day, Sunpaw came to recite the legends.

It was a common event, something that happened every quarter-moon. It kept Yellowkit and Whitekit quiet and entertained and let Robinear rest, something she was eternally grateful for.