The Claiming

Three days passes since Willowtwig had become a full member.

It was strange, truly strange, that he hadn't approached her. Maybe he'd forgotten about her. Maybe, just maybe, he didn't really want her.

Maybe some other she-cat had caught his eye.

Robinear shifted uneasily in her nest, accidentally brushing Thrushnose with her tail. The white she-cat blinked her eyes open and glanced at Robinear in confusion. "What is it?"

Robinear sighed. "Nothing." Yet, she added.

Despite her hope, the silver tabby just couldn't believe that Willowtwig would just ignore her. So instead of relaxing, her nerves were just more on edge than ever.

Thrushnose exhaled loudly, her breath ruffling Robinear's fur slightly. "Nothing from Willowtwig?"

Robinear shook her head.

Thrushnose sighed again, her tail moving to rest on Robinear. She didn't seem to know what to say.

Who would, if their mate was going to be stolen away by a tom they hated?

Robinear let her tail rest gently on Thrushnose's, who purred quietly in response. Not long after, the white hunter was asleep, her chest rising and falling evenly.

But Robinear couldn't sleep.

It was strange-- though her sleep had been erotic ever since Willowtwig's ceremony, she'd always, eventually, been able to sleep.

But something just felt...different about tonight.

A cool breeze blew gently into the entrance of the den, and Robinear's whiskers twitched in discomfort.

Why me?

Suddenly, the sounds of footsteps approaching caused her head to snap up. She didn't even care if anyone knew she was awake as her eyes scanned the den for the culprit.

It was Leopardtail.

A sudden surge of hope shot through her. Perhaps Willowtwig wouldn't claim her after all!

The golden tom stood their awkwardly, his tail swishing from side to side. "Robinear..." he began. His gaze dropped to his paws. "I'm here with something and a message from my brother," he sighed. Something landed gently on her shoulder, and Robinear blinked at it.

It was a flower.

"He told me to give you this." A pause. "And wear it."

By the darkness, if he really though she'd accept ANY gift from him...

Robinear stood up slowly, taking care not to wake Thrusnose beside her. Despite her secret mate's good intentions, any interference on her part would just make the situation worse.

They'd probably die.

Leopardtail sighed. "He...wants you to meet him by the pond."

The pond.

The pond...

Robinear dipped her head. "I'll go," she mewed softly. She was a coward after all-- her only act of defiance would be to leave the flower. 

Leopardtail looked both relieved and saddened, his eyes suddenly looking guilty.

She suddenly tilted her head and stared at Leopardtail. "Did he threaten you?" she inquired.

Leopardtail blinked. "How did you--" He sighed. "Yes, he did." His mew quavered a moment. "He-he can kill me, and no one will ever blame him..."

Oh, poor Leopardtail.