The First Training Session

"Robinpaw?" the mew of her mentor punched through her sleepy brain. She blinked open her eyes to see Foxtail above her. "Come on, it's time to start hunting."

Robinpaw opened her mouth in a yawn, feeling excitement course through her tired body. My first day as a real trainee! she thought. But what if I'm not good enough? What if I fail?

"Up, please." Foxtail accompanied the request with a prod with her tail.

Robinpaw sprang to her feet, tiredness forgotten, determined not to disappoint her mentor. "What are we doing today?"

"Well, first we're just going to review what you learned in Testing. I'm sure you did great, seeing that you got this role."

Robinpaw nodded empathetically. The Hunting Testing is the part of Testing that got me through kithood. After Tankit--well, if hunting hadn't been there, I think I would've gone crazy.

She looked down at her claws, remembering the blood trickling down them slowly and shook her head ruefully. As if I'm not crazy already.

"Robinpaw?"

Robinpaw snapped out of her daze, turning to face her mentor's concerned gaze. "S-sorry," she mewed, hanging her head in submission and preparing for her rebuke.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I'm not like your Tester?" asked Foxtail patiently, nudging her head back up with her tail.

But you are, thought Robinpaw unexpectedly, realizing what it was the made her fear her kind mentor so much. You are like Lilyflower--your job, your movements, even your voices are similar.

"Robinpaw!" Foxtail snapped, her tail lashing in annoyance. "Listen, please!"

Robinpaw flinched and took a step back, flattening her ears. That voice...it's so much like Lilyflower's.

Foxtail looked guilty at her trainee's reaction, her voice softening. "I am not your Tester. Do you understand? I'm not here to test you, but to help you grow. Just relax, Robinpaw, and you will grow to be one of the best Hunters FloraClan has ever seen."

FloraClan...Robinpaw's mind was flooded with the memories of the Testing again. She felt Brownkit's claws slice open her head again, then the cut along her back. This time, she couldn't stop the shriek of terror that escaped her as she forced herself out of her memories, head in her paws. If this is FloraClan, then I don't want to live here!

Foxtail winced and looked at Robinpaw apologetically, stroking her with her tail. "I'm sorry if I scared you."

Still anxious, Robinpaw nodded, opening her muzzle to force out the words that seemed to be frozen in her throat. "I'm not scared." Voiced, the thought seemed to cage her memories briefly, and Robinpaw took a deep breath.

Foxtail studied her worriedly, then flicked her tail in dismissal and nodded. "Okay, then, let's go," mewed the ginger Hunter, leading her trainee out of the den. "We're going to the training ground."

Robinpaw followed her mentor, her previous fear melting into curiosity and excitement. We're leaving the camp? I've never left the camp before!

"Excited, are you?" Foxtail paused and purred. "Of course you are. It's your first time out of the camp, isn't it?"

"Yes!" replied Robinpaw, bouncing behind her mentor eagerly. I'm going to leave the camp!

Foxtail purred again and led the silver trainee over the log that crossed the river. Robinpaw winced as they passed the Battle Arena--the birthplace of her nightmares--but didn't say anything, simply shutting her eyes briefly.

The Burning- Book One: Blossom [DRAFT]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara