The Den of Hunters

"Come on," came the mew of her new mentor, Foxtail. When Robinpaw didn't react, the ginger she-cat tapped her with her tail. "Come meet your denmates."

"Oh, right," mewed Robinpaw. "S-sorry."

Foxtail purred. "It's alright. I'm not as strict as your Testees."

Robinpaw purred as well, feeling relieved as Foxtail led her over to a hole in a large pile of rocks. Padding in, she saw twenty or so nests spaced evenly around the den. At the sound of her entrance, three curious faces- golden, white, and tortoiseshell popped up from the moss, turning to face her.

"Everyone, this is Robinpaw, your new denmate," introduced Foxtail, tapping the silver trainee lightly with her tail.

The tortoiseshell dropped her head back unto the moss. "We know," she muttered quite loudly. "We were at her Naming."

The golden she-cat glared at her and hit her with her tail. "Don't be so grumpy," she said to the other trainee. She looked back at Robinpaw. "My name is Swallowpaw, and this grumpy she-cat is Quailpaw. I think she always sleeps with a thorn in her nest."

"Hey, shut it," mewed Quailpaw, lashing her tail and accidentally hitting the white trainee.

"Hey!"

"I'm so sorry."

"Ugh." The last trainee turned to Robinpaw. "My name is Thrushpaw." She glanced at her denmate. "She's not usually this annoying."

Robinpaw shrugged. "It's fine. Not any worse than my sister, so I'm used to--" Robinpaw stopped, the memory of Brownkit's tortured face swimming back up to the front of her memory. And the blood...the blood... Her thoughts spiraled towards the cause of her fear...Tankit, poor Tankit...

"Tankit against Brownkit."

Silverkit ran her tail against her brother's flank as he walked into the arena. This was so exciting!

"FIGHT!"

The two testees rolled toward each other. Swipe, slice. Swipe, leap, roll. Silverkit nearly cheered in excitement. Her brother was going to win! Tankit was about to hit Brownkit in the head, when Brownkit suddenly spun around and sunk her teeth into his neck. Tankit went limp.

Brownkit backed away in horror. "What's wrong with him? What did I do?"

Poppyflower turned to face her. "You killed him, Brownkit. Be more careful next time."

He was dead? How could this be? But all the blood, all the blood, it meant death!

"Hello? Robinpaw? Hey, I love the Sun and Moon, too, but maybe take a break from visiting them and talk to us?" Thrushpaw's worried voice cut through her thoughts.

"Oh, sorry," mewed Robinpaw, embarrassed.

"And she's a mousebrained cat with her head in the clouds as well," whispered Quailpaw to Swallowpaw not too subtly. Swallowpaw proceeded to hit her in the head with her paw, causing Quailpaw to leap up and hiss in outrage. The tortoiseshell trainee leapt at her denmate and they began tussling. Robinpaw stood awkwardly next to Thrushpaw.

After several moments of silence, Thrushpaw suddenly purred. "The mousebrain."

"Who? You?" purred Robinpaw.

"Hey! Of course not. I'm talking about Quailpaw. Attacking a Warrior-- even if they're only a trainee-- is downright...well, mousebrained." She purred again. "We seem to be using that word a lot, don't we?"

Robinpaw purred even harder and opened her muzzle to speak when Swallowpaw's triumphant mew interrupted her. "I win! As usual." The golden she-cat had the tortoiseshell pinned down firmly, and her eyes flashed