The Planning

As the four-moon mark inched closer and closer, Robinear's nerves were on edge. She's taken to practically sleeping in Thrushnose's nest, which did help a little.

She just wished her nest wasn't the one closest to the door.

It came as no surprise to her, therefore, that she was often woken by cats going to dirtplace.

Or, in Foxtail's case, to meet a tom.

Robinear could smell his scent on her mentor every time she came back, but decided not to bring it up.

She might be trying to make up for her earlier treasonous statements, but she wouldn't turn her former mentor in.

It was a shock, however, when she wasn't woken by pawsteps, but a whisper.

And the whisper wasn't directed to her.

"Leopardpaw. Leopardpaw, get up!" It was make, but Robinear couldn't identify the speaker. He spoke with a hiss, making his new unrecognizable.

Robinear inhaled deeply, hoping to catch his scent.

Her blood ran cold.

Willowpaw.

Cracking her eyes open, Robinear saw Leopardpaw open his eyes blearily. He blinked twice in quick succession. "Willowpaw? What are you doing here?"

Willowpaw looked nervously around the den. "Not here," he hissed, gesturing to the den entrance. He ducked through quickly. Leopardpaw followed him, looking bemused.

Robinear made a split-second decision to follow them and crept out of her nest. She put her paws down as lightly as possible, praying that they wouldn't listen for the tell-tale sound of a Hunter's stalk.

She heard voices, and inched closer. She saw a bush and crept up to it, peering through its branch.

"...I know you like Robinear," Willowpaw was saying. "That's why I came to offer sharing her."

What?!

Leopardpaw blinked. "Share?"

Willowpaw nodded. "Yeah. I'll take the first claim, as I outrank you, but then you can have her. And then me...and so on."

"No!" burst out Leopardpaw.

Willowpaw tilted his head. "You don't want her?" He flicked his tail. "Alright then. I guess I'll just get her more..."

Leopardpaw hissed. "Don't do that! She clearly hates you!"

You can say that again.

Willowpaw flicked his tail. "So?"

The golden tom exhaled sharply. "Did it not occur to you, brother, that maybe she doesn't want to be your mate?"

"But I do," answered Willowpaw, looking bemused at Leopardpaw's protests.

"You're hopeless," sighed Leopardpaw.

Willowpaw dismissed that with a flick of his tail. "So you don't want her?"

Leopardpaw rolled his eyes. "I'd like her, but I'll respect her feelings. I'd only claim her if she said I could."

"Which, as you pointed out, is probably never," observed Willowpaw. "Whatever. I'll just take her. Just don't stake a permanent claim on her!"

Leopardpaw sighed. "I'm not agreeing to that. If only to protect her..."

Willowpaw sighed. "Fine. Just don't talk to her about this." He lowered his voice and muttered something in his brother's ear. Leopardpaw's eyes went wide and he looked like his legs would give out under him.