//40//

Vosch brought in our uniforms and laid them on our beds before walking out to let us change.

I held the uniform in my hands and it felt like a dream. The fabric was so smooth and the colors were dark, Navy blue army print and a black vest on top. I slid a strap that had a holster up on my thigh.

I quickly changed and once I slid on the vest on top I knew I might not make it back. I'm not invincible I just act like I am, something will always someone. Sammy and Peanut are not ready for this, they're not.

I slide on my boots and tied them all the way up.

I slowly made my way over to zombie who was shirtless. I looked at his muscles flexing as he pulled an undershirt over this head and onto his exposed torso.

"Zombie, we can't let Sammy and peanut go out there. They'll die" I whispered into his ear.

"I was thinking the same thing" he said as he looked down at me.

"Follow me" I said as I grabbed his wrist.

"Carry him to the bathroom" I whispered. Sammy was still asleep and zombie picked him up and started carrying him into the bathroom. The rest of the squad weren't paying attention at all they were all probably scared to death, they were probably thinking of different ways to ditch us and run off into the forest and hide.

"Peanut come with me" I said as I gave her a small push towards the bathroom.

I grabbed a shirt that I wore last night and took it to the bathroom.

Zombie laid Sammy on the floor, "tie his hands to this" I pointed to the small pole that was attached to the wall.

"Cmon" I say as I grab Peanut's hands.

"What are you doing?" She asks as she pulls away from me.

"This is how I'm going to keep you safe" I said as I grabbed her hands again.

"No. I'm going with you I'm not staying" she protested.

"Peanut it's way too dangerous out there. Just stay here and don't make a noise"

"No killer, I feel 100x more safer with you than here in this camp. Please" tears swelled up in her eyes as she grabbed my wrist with her small hands.

I looked up at zombie and he gave me a small nod.

"Okay okay fine" I said.

She hugged me tightly with her head against my chest.

"Go finish getting ready" I said.

She ran off and closed the bathroom door behind her.

"Take care of this for me" zombie tells sleeping Sammy. He takes his sister's locket out of his pocket and wraps it around sammy's neck.

"Goodbye Sammy" I gave him a small kiss on the head and turned back around to look at zombie.

"We're going to be fine" he says as he stands up from the ground.

"What if-"

"No. We're going to make it. Just stay close to me I'll protect you" he assures me.

I press my lips against his and gave him what felt like the last kiss.

"We're going to make it back" I say as I pull away and press my forehead against his.

He embraces me in a hug and press my ear against that beautiful beating heart.