Chapter 1

Sophia had no need for an alarm when the sound of her angry drunken parents screaming at one another always woke her up in the morning right on time. Last night was her first night sleeping in her new house in Chicago. It was pretty shitty looking because they lived in the South Side (the ghetto part of Chicago). This area scared and intimidated Sophia since she was just a petite teenage girl, but it was the only area that her parents could afford to live in.
    She could hear her mother and father slur their loud words from the downstairs kitchen, "Byron, y-you never ever loved me! You're such a shithead, I can't believe I married you! I wish I never met you."
"Melissa, whaaat in the world did I do? You're the one who doesn't even have a job! I'm the only reason you even have a roof over your head and food on the table! Did I mention that I'm the one who gave you a child?! Don't be a bitch!"
"Oh shut up! You make money from selling fucking narcotics, that's nothing to be proud of! And for the child, she's a shithead, too! The both of you disgust me!"
The front door slammed shut, echoing throughout the small house, and that was the last she heard from her mother for a few hours, assuming that she just went to a bar somewhere. Her mother always somehow managed to find a nearby bar or liquor store. Sophia was used to hearing her mom say those things about her, it didn't bother her as much anymore. She hated both of her parents, but her dad was the lesser of two evils. Melissa Carter was a jobless 31 year old, she had Sophia when she was 15, alcoholic who's favorite hobby was to verbally abuse her husband and daughter and Byron Carter was a 35 year old drug-dealer who was either drunk or high all the time. It was a dangerous job, but it was the only thing that he was smart enough to do. He never abused Sophia like his wife did, but he never paid any attention to her. At all. It was almost like he totally forgot his daughter existed. Most days he would leave for "work" at 7 in the morning then come home at 12 in the morning, going straight to bed without saying a word to anyone. She barely knew her own father.
Sophia looked at the clock, it was 6:45 in the morning on a Sunday. Her dad would be leaving for work soon. She carefully walked down the stairs and approached her father in the kitchen, "Um, hey Dad... w-what were you guys fighting about?" "It's none of your damn business," he suddenly spat, startling her. Byron grabbed his car keys and cigarettes off of the counter, then stormed out of the house. It was now a completely quiet, empty home. She enjoyed the peace for only a few seconds before she heard police sirens wailing nearby. It sounded like they were on her street right outside. Suddenly someone busted through her front door, slammed it shut, and locked it. He crouched on the kitchen floor behind the counter right in front of her. She had no idea of what to do since she saw that he had a gun on him. Sophia was totally frozen as she took a good look at the boy before her.
        He looked around her age, he was white, had cornrows, a gold chain, and a gun in hand. Neither one of them said a word. Sophia kept an eye on him as she very slowly inched away from him, moving towards the knives. In one swift moment, the boy turned around and stood up, facing her and pointing his gun directly at her nervous face. She paused in place and put her hands up, gulping. His deep and aggressive voice spoke up, "One more move and I'll blow your fucking head off!"        
        Tears started to well up in her eyes and she nodded, keeping her hands up for him to see. She was completely helpless, but she used the last ounce of courage left in her body to say, "W-what are you doing? Please don't hurt me." The boy kept looking back and forth between Sophia and the front door, then said, "I'm running from the cops. Where the fuck is your backdoor? I need to get out of here." Her voice shaked with fear as this could be her final moment on earth, "I-it's down that hall to the left. It'll lead to the backyard, you can hop the fence from there and take the back alleyway. What's your name?" She had no fucking idea why she asked that, but it was a bad idea. Darkness overwhelmed the boy's blue eyes and he looked pissed, "You're asking too many goddamn questions! I'm leaving. And if you even try to fucking call the cops, I swear to God I will find you and that will be the last thing you ever do." Sophia nodded rapidly to show him that she understood, and he put his gun in his back pocket then ran out the backdoor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I hope you guys liked this first chapter :) I'm sooo excited to write this story!!