Chapter 9

"This is your home now."
Those words continued echoing through Sophia's head as everything was unbelievable. It was a miracle. She was finally going to get away from her terrible parents. After 16 years of constant pain, suffering, and hatred, she was finally going to be free. She would finally be at peace.
        Tears of happiness started to well up in her brown eyes but she quickly wiped them before they fell. She felt that she had cried enough in front of Carl for the day. Sophia spoke barely above a whisper as she was still laying there in his bed, "Wait, so are you completely sure about this? I mean I can figure something out, I don't want you to feel pressured like you have to do this. I know we haven't known each other for any longer than three days and we're already moving in together?" Carl scoffed, "Pff, please. It's not a big deal, I'm totally cool with it. It'll be fun. Plus I would hate to see you continue living with those people, knowing that I could've done something to stop it. I'm not a coward, even if we had known each other for five minutes I would offer you to live in my house in a heartbeat. Time means nothing to me."
       Sophia finally felt reassured and knew that he was absolutely okay with this. She took a deep breath and smiled, "Alright, well I'm in." "Aight sounds good. So now all we gotta do is get your shit back from your house. What time will they be out of the house?"
"Well my dad usually leaves to do his drug dealing at 7 in the morning then comes back at 12 in the morning. My mom, well I don't really know. She doesn't work but she's not home during the day half the time cause she's out getting drunk and partying. But then again, sometimes she's at home all day watching TV and drinking bottles of vodka on the couch."
      Carl was quiet for a minute as he was thinking of a plan, "Aight so how about we leave at 6PM? That way your dad won't be home yet and your mom will most likely either be already passed out or not home cause she's out." Sophia nodded, "Yeah that'll work." Carl cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, "So... is there anything else I need to know about your parents? Like you know, if they do happen to be home and see us, are they gonna try to fight me or something? Do I need to bring a gun?" Sophia was deep in thought, trying to figure out the answer to that question herself. They were pretty violent and angry people, there was very well a possibility that things would get ugly if they caught them sneaking in. "Um, well I guess you probably should bring one. Just in case anything happens. You never really know with them."
       Carl nodded and he was about to say something until he was interrupted by a loud, angry bang on the front door downstairs. Sophia whispered, "What was that? Who is it?" Carl sneakily looked out his window to see who was at the door, "Shit. I gotta handle this, stay up here. I mean it." Sophia nodded that she understood and he quickly went down the stairs to answer the door. Now that she was all alone in his bedroom, she decided to look out the window and see who it was. It was her dad. What was he doing here?
         Sophia was definitely curious now to see why her dad was at Carl's house. She very quietly, carefully, and slowly tip-toed down the staircase to get a better look at what was going on at the front door. Carl had his arms crossed, he looked pissed, as her father was desperately explaining himself:
Carl's voice was raised with anger, "How in the fuck do you lose 70 pounds of marijuana?!"
"I-I'm sorry, man. I set the packages down for just a minute in the warehouse and turned around to talk to one of the guys, then I turned back around and it was all gone! I was scammed, they took it all!"
Carl's face was red with frustration and he face palmed. He slammed his fist on the wall, starling Sophia, and he dropped his head as he was thinking. Carl finally calmed down and he sighed, "Fine. I'll fix this but if you fuck up again, you're a dead man. Get out of my sight. This is the last time I'm letting you do a job like this." Her dad nodded as he walked away and Carl slammed the front door shut.
        Sophia slowly snuck back up the stairs so that he wouldn't see that she was watching, but he caught her. Just as she was about to get back to his bedroom, she heard him say behind her, "Dude I told you to stay in the room. You don't need to see that shit." She cursed herself as she awkwardly turned around to face him, his arms still crossed. Sophia spoke up, "I'm sorry, it's just- why were you talking to my dad?" Carl's eyes widened with shock and his arms dropped to his sides, "What? Your dad?" Sophia nodded, "Yeah. That's my dad you were just talking to, Byron Carter. I didn't know he worked for you."
"Well I didn't know that was your dad."
That was true. Sophia sighed and turned around to continue walking to his bedroom, him right behind her. She plopped down, sitting on his bed, and he was leaning against the door frame. She said, "So I guess you're a really important guy around here? Lots of people respect you and take orders from you." He smirked out of cockiness, "Yeah, you could say that." She wondered how someone like him was capable of being so in charge. If anything, if you took one look at him you'd think he'd be at the bottom of the food chain cause he was a white boy living in the hood. The only thing that made him so intimidating-looking were his cornrows and gold chains. She figured it was his badass persona that got him to where he was.
        It was now 5PM and Carl said, "Aight let's go. Make sure you only grab what you need." She nodded but suddenly got really nervous when she saw him grabbing his gun and putting it in his back pocket. He turned around and saw how scared she looked, "Hey, don't worry girl. I seriously doubt I'll have to use it, it'll be last resort. Honestly they probably won't even be home. I know that Byron is out doing deals for me and like you said, your mom is probably out. We just gotta get in, get your stuff, and get out. Easy." Sophia took a deep breath and they headed out the door, walking straight to her house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A/N: Hey I hope you guys liked this :) I hope it's not confusing or anything lol. Sooo how weird is it that Sophia's dad works for Carl?