Chapter 16

After the two finished cleaning up the house, they sat on the couch in the living room. Sophia was watching a reality show on the TV and Carl was texting somebody on his phone. She was bored with the show so she whined, "I'm boreddd." He kept texting, "Yeah, me too. But my siblings will be home soon with all the movies and snacks for family movie night and then Fiona should be home from work in a couple hours." Sophia sighed and continued to watch the screen in silence.
Carl suddenly sat up from his slouched position on the couch and put on his sneakers, "Aye I gotta go run an errand. I'll be back soon." Sophia stood up as he headed towards the door and said, "Can I come? Pleaseee!" He sighed as he was trying to make a decision, "Yeah... I guess. Let's go." She squeeled with excitement as she turned off the TV and followed him out of the Gallagher house.
They were walking down the street in the freezing cold weather and she finally spoke up with a shivering voice, "C-Carl, where are we going? What are these errands you have to do?" He spoke with a slightly aggressive tone, "It's just business shit. I have to meet up with some of my guys and discuss a deal." Sophia was now extremely scared and nervous, she wanted nothing to do with any drug deals. But, it was too late to turn back now since they were already several blocks away from the house and there was no way she was walking back by herself. "Um, are they like - dangerous?" He chuckled lightly, "Of course they are, but not to you or me. I'm the big bad boss, I'm always the dangerous one when I'm around." She nodded, deciding to say no more, as they walked down the street underneath the gloomy sky.
After a long walk, Carl began to approach a black parked car that was on the side of the street. He walked towards it as one of his workers rolled down the window. There were multiple men in the car, though. Sophia decided it was safer if she stayed close to him, so she walked up and stood beside Carl. Carl looked around then spoke to the man in the driver seat, "You got the stuff? You know where to go and who you're dealing with?" The man in the drivers seat spoke in an incredibly deep voice, "Yes, sir. I got all 120 pounds of cocaine in the trunk." Carl nodded then walked around to the back of the parked car, then opened the trunk. He lifted it open and observed all of the packaged drugs. Sophia stared at it and whispered, "That's a lot of drugs..." He smirked as he slammed the trunk shut, "And that's how I make a lot of money."
Carl walked back around and knocked on the car window a few times, signaling the man to drive off. The black drug-filled car drove far away, going 80mph down a neighborhood road then disappeared as it turned a corner. Carl then turned around walked back to the house, not saying a word as he stuffed his hands in his pockets. Sophia felt completely awkward the entire time, not exactly knowing what to do with herself. She just witnessed something very illegal. She walked fast to catch up and walk next to him, still not saying anything.
They had been walking for over 20 minutes now, on their way back to the Gallagher house, and his eyes lit up as he suddenly crossed the street. Sophia was confused at first but then realized that he was approaching a couple of hookers that were standing on a corner. Her eyes went wide and she tugged on his arm, "Carl, no. You don't want to do this. It's a waste of money and you'll probably get an STD. Besides, your family will be home soon!" He glared at her, "I'm not an idiot, I know what I'm doing." She didn't know what that meant but she continued to follow him as he approached the girls.
A bleach blonde girl that was wearing a very short tight cheetah print dress and a ton of terribly done makeup (a stereotypical prostitue) and 7 inch red heels popped her bubblegum then looked at Carl seductively, speaking in an intense Jersey accent,"Hey baby, what can I do for ya?" He smirked, "How much is three hours?" Sophia gasped and whispered to him, "Three hours?!" He said, "I know right, I can go on forever. What can I say, I've got high testosterone." Sophia glared at him, secretly impressed, as the prostitute then continued to speak, "1,700 bucks babe." Sophia gasped at the expensive price when Carl instantly took out a huge was of cash, "Aight, you got it."
The prostitue smirked as she was just about to take the cash out of his hand when Sophia quickly grabbed it, "No, Carl. This is not right. Let's go. Trust me, I'm doing you a favor." He groaned as she pulled him by the arm and they walked away from the prostitues and headed toward the house, "Goddamn you're so a cockblock. If you're not going to let me have sex with that hooker, then you better be letting me fuck you when we get back." As much as she totally would let him, she smacked his chest, "No way." She was totally lying.
"Okay so you're just never going to allow me to have sex again?" Sophia laughed and nodded as they approached the house.
        It was now almost 5PM, the sun slightly setting. When they walked through the door, all of his siblings had already gotten back from running errands all day. Debbie was upstairs in her bedroom doing homework, Lip was playing video games on the couch, and Ian was doing the dishes. Sophia plopped down next to Lip on the couch and said, "Whatcha doin?" He didn't take his eyes off the screen as he was deeply focused on trying not to die, "I'm playing Call of Duty." He clearly was not willing to have a conversation at the moment so she got up and went to the kitchen to chat with Ian since she didn't know him very well. She had been living with the Gallaghers for a little over a week now and she's only spoken to him a couple times.
         He was scrubbing plates as she hopped up on the kitchen counter next to the sink, "What's up?" This was very unusual of her to spark conversations with people, considering how introverted she was. He looked up at her and gave her a small smile, "Nothin, just doing the dishes. We got home about half an hour ago and Fiona will be home from work in an hour, so when she gets here we can start movie night. By the way, I noticed you and Carl weren't home when we got back. Where were you guys?" She started to hesitate, not wanting to necessarily tell him that she went with him to take care of a drug deal. But then Sophia realized that Carl's family clearly already knew he was a drug trafficker, so she tried to give Ian an answer without being specific, hoping he wouldn't ask any questions, "Oh, he needed to take care of something and I just went with him because I was bored here."
        Ian looked up at her suspiciously and asked, "Take care of what?" She looked down at the kitchen floor as she cleared her throat, "He was just talking to some of his guys about a drug deal. No biggie." He looked pissed, yet concerned as he finished washing the last dish. Ian walked over to Carl, who had started playing Call of Duty with Lip, and smacked him on the head. Carl groaned and looked up at Ian as he gave him a dirty look, "Dude, the fuck was that for?!" Ian spoke sternly, "You're dealing drugs again? You told Fiona you'd stop!"
     Carl looked over at Sophia and glared at her as his jaw tensed. She was a little scared now... she definitely shouldn't have told Ian the truth. Carl stopped playing the game and stood up, "Dude, it's my job! I have things to take care of and shit I'm responsible for. Me dealing drugs is the only way we have good money! Me dealing drugs is the only way we can fucking afford a house and food! Don't tell me to fucking stop, unless you want to be hungry and homeless!"  Ian rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, "Fine, man. You do what you need to do, but you need to be careful. We can't lose you. This stays between you and me, and you better not let you work put this family in any danger." Carl sighed as he sat back down on the couch, "Good, now don't make me talk about this again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A/N: Hey guys, sorry it's been a few days since I've updated. I just started high school so I have a lot on my plate right now, but I'll use whatever free time I have to write chapters! Thanks for reading :)