Chapter 19

It was Tuesday morning and all Sophia and Carl wanted to do was just sleep. His alarm went off but he just slammed the snooze button as many times as he needed to just get some peace and quiet. They were enjoying getting their rest until Ian opened the bedroom door. He was brushing his teeth as he stood in the doorway, "Get up guys, you gotta leave in 30 minutes." Sophia groaned as Carl continued to lay there in silence. She got up out of bed and poked Carl's arm, "Come on, Carl. We'll be late." He sleepily spoke in his deep raspy morning voice, "Can we just ditch..."
       That didn't sound like a bad idea to Sophia. She wasn't stupid, she knew that Carl obviously had a bad influence on her, but that didn't really matter to her anymore. All she wanted was to be happy in life, and it would make her very happy if she didn't have to go to school. She shrugged as he crawled back into bed and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer into him.
         They were nearly back asleep when Fiona then bursted through the bedroom door, "Guys get ready already, Ian has already come in here to wake you up! School starts in 20 minutes and you haven't even gotten out of bed yet! If you guys are late, I'm not giving your teachers an excuse for you." Carl groaned in exhaustion as he kept his eyes closed, "We're staying in today." Fiona stomped over to the bed where they laid and yanked all of the sheets off of them (luckily they were both clothed) and demanded with a serious tone, "Get. Up."
       Carl moaned with frustration as the two of them got out of bed and hurried to get ready for school. They quickly finished getting dressed, though they didn't even have time for breakfast, and they were out the door. Even though Carl had apologized and comforted Sophia the previous night, and they seemed to have made up, there was still some undeniable tension left between them. Sophia was pretty much over the whole thing by now, but she was still getting mild bad vibes from Carl for some reason. He was still being nice and all to her, but she could tell that something was up. As they were walking to school, she realized that they still needed to talk about the whole situation. Just as she was about to talk to him about it, his phone rang and he answered. Sophia stayed quiet as he talked to the person on the phone, "Hey babygirl. What's goin on?"
         Sophia's heart immediately dropped when she heard him call another girl that nickname. Was he trying to make her jealous? If so, it was definitely working. She was no longer angry, just sad. She realized that she needed to learn to except that she would never be able to call him mine. Sophia kept walking with him as she pretended to not care and minded her own business. He kept on flirting with the girl he was talking to, saying things like, "I can't wait to see you", and , "Goddamn I love you so much." He talked to this person like she was his long time girlfriend. They soon approached the campus and went their separate ways without even saying goodbye to one another.
        It was soon lunch and Carl, Sophia, and a few of his guy friends were sitting together. She felt totally awkward since they were talking about guy things, like guns, hot girls, and football. Carl barely acknowledged that she was sitting right beside him, which hurt her. She didn't understand, she thought that he was over it and that they made up about their fight? Apparently not.
        The bell rang, signaling that it was officially the end of the school day. Everyone rushed out of their classes to get home, but Sophia waited outside for Carl so that they could walk home together, as always. As she sat down on a bench waiting for him, she spotted him making out with a girl against a wall. This time she wasn't blonde, she was a red-head (which was strange because he thought red heads were the spawns of Satan). A group of people were walking by and whistling at the two making out, cheering and cat-calling. Carl had a smirk on his face the whole time.
        Sophia didn't even bother to wait for him anymore, and decided to walk home by herself. She tried to convince herself that she didn't need him, but that was so untrue. She walked with her arms crossed to keep warm as she walked down the ghetto sidewalk to get to the house. It was too quiet and lonely for her liking, but she dealed with it and walked as fast as she could. After a 15 minute walk, feeling longer than ever, she walked inside the Gallagher house. Nobody was home yet, like always, so she went upstairs. She grabbed a pillow and a blanket from the bed they shared and brought them downstairs, then laid them on the couch.
         Sophia was sitting on the couch doing her geometry homework when Carl finally came through the door about 20 minutes after she got home. He shut the door, walked straight ahead, and said not a single word to her. As he walked up the stairs to his bedroom, she yelled, "I'm sleeping on the couch tonight!" He slammed the bedroom door shut and didn't come out for a solid 4 hours. What was his problem? He was perfectly fine before they went to sleep and at the beginning of that morning. She couldn't see why he would all of a sudden be so angry again.
          It was 7 o'clock at night and Debbie had just come home. She walked through the front door and spoke to Sophia, who was laying on the couch watching the news on the TV, "Hey. Sorry I'm home so late, I was studying at the library. I'm just letting ya know that Ian won't be home until 11 tonight because he has to work late shifts and Lip won't be home at all tonight since he decided to spend the night at a friend's house. Fiona should be back from work pretty soon I think."
        Sophia simply nodded in understandment. Debbie was just about to go upstairs to her bedroom when she noticed that Sophia was in her pajamas and had the couch all set up to sleep on. She walked over and sat next to Sophia on the couch, "Are you sleeping on the couch tonight?"
"Yeah, yeah I am."
"Why? What happened? Is Carl being an asshole again?"
"No, well... I guess. It's just that we got in a  fight because he was calling me baby and kissing me and making me feel special, but then he would do the same to other girls. I feel like I don't know what he wants or how he feels about me, and it was just making me confused and hurt. We made up last night and we were back to normal, but he's been acting pissed again all day. I don't know what's wrong, but I'm kind of mad at him for being mad so I'm not sleeping with him tonight. He needs his space, I guess."
"Oh... well, I don't know what to say. If it makes anything better, though, I really do think he genuinely likes you. He just has a terrible way of showing it. Listen, I'll talk to him if you want me to. I can knock some sense into him."
"No, no, please don't. I don't want to make things any worse."
"Okay then."
"Well, I know it's early but I'm going to sleep because I'm exhausted. Goodnight, Debbie."

       Debbie stood up from off the couch and gave Sophia a small smile, then went upstairs to her bedroom. Sophia was now downstairs all alone and was left with nothing but silence. She remembered that she and Carl never talked about everything, which she was very disappointed about. It was soon 8 o'clock at night and she was about to drift to sleep, until she heard someone come downstairs. Sophia opened her eyes and sat up, Carl was standing there in front of the TV. He rubbed the back of his neck and whispered, "Sophia, I'm ready to talk."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A/N: Hey guys! As much as I love writing this story and never want to stop writing chapters, unfortunately I probably won't be updating as often as I was at first. I just started high school so I have lots of work & lots to get done :( But I'll still be updating at LEAST once a week so don't worry! Love youuuu. Make sure to leave your thoughts in the comments!! xoxo