Chapter 3

Sophia decided that she had been in enough life threatening situations for one day so she turned around and went back home. Now she definitely knew what the South Side was like. She was actually a little bit attracted to Carl, which really scared her considering how dangerous he seemed. She ignored her daydreams as she walked through her front door, being greeted by her extremely wasted mother sitting on the couch. At the moment, she knew that she was in for deep shit. Her mother's eyes were bloodshot and she stood up, stumbling, and looked at Sophia with pure anger, "Where the hell were you? I bet you were out being a slut, huh? You don't get to leave this *hiccup* fu-fuckin house without asking me! You're grounded!" Sophia sighed, "I'm sorry, Mom. I was just taking a walk, I wanted to get to know the neighborhood." Her mother then walked slowly closer to her, "What did you fucking say? Are you *hiccup* back-talking me?!" What? Sophia was just explaining herself. She decided it was best to say no more and she just shook her head and went up to her bedroom.
     It was quiet now, so she assumed that her mother passed out and was asleep now. Sophia took off her shoes and laid down in her bed, watching the ceiling fan move in circles. She couldn't stop thinking about that boy, Carl. She mentally screamed at herself for liking him, "He fucking pointed a gun at you! He threatened your life! You can't like him! You're such an idiot! Stay away from him!" Sophia distracted herself from those thoughts by dwelling about the first day of school tomorrow. She was nervous as fuck. Sophia was a very shy, introverted, private girl who liked to keep to herself. That became a problem when it came to making friends. She was a sad girl, she didn't want to be herself anymore. She hated everything about who she was and insecurity ate her alive everyday.
     It was exactly 7PM when she heard her father come through the front door, right on time. She went downstairs to greet him, even after he snapped at her that morning. As much as she hated and feared her parents, she needed to stay on their good side. She was very cautious when she approached him in the kitchen, "Hey Dad, how was work today?" He slowly lifted his head up and stared at her, "What do you fucking think? I'm a drug dealer. It didn't go so well! I only made 400$. This isn't enough for the bills. Goddamit!" He slammed his fists on the table out of anger, forcing Sophia to back away from him as he was getting violent. She didn't know what to say, so she started to walk back up to her room until his voice stopped her, "Sophia, where's your mother?" She turned back around and looked over at the couch then sighed, "She's passed out on the couch as always with an empty bottle of whiskey next to her." Byron chuckled to himself and dropped his head, "Of course." Sophia then continued to walk back up to her bedroom and decided to go to sleep. It was another night without dinner. Hell, it was another day without any food. Her family could only afford to eat for about 4 days a week and they were always very small, cheap meals that made her sick to her stomach. She accepted it, though. She knew that other people had it much worse.