Chapter Four

I stared at Dwynwen's back, trying to get over my anger at Sayer. He didn't have to act so rudely, plus, how the hell was I supposed to know what to do? Just because I had saved a pixie he had had a whole strop. I mean, seriously, it wasn't that bad, was it? I only made one life better, even if that one life was a pixies life.

Dwynwen stayed silent on the way to the Element Chamber and I knew if I opened my mouth I would of started screaming about how annoying Sayer was. I hadn't known him long, but I knew him well enough to know he wasn't Ward. He would never be Ward, just like Dwynwen would never be Claire and I would never be Khadi. They could try to force me to be her, try to tame me into shape, but nothing would ever make me her.I knew this would frustrate Sayer, but he swapped me with Khadi, he would have to deal with it, I wasn't going to change who I was for anyone.

Deciding to try to find out more about why Sayer hated fairies and pixies, I said, "Dwynwen," At the sound of her name she stopped and turned to face me, "Why does Sayer hate supernaturals so much?"

Dwynwen sighed, "His father was killed by a group of Roquaries." Seeing my puzzled expression she continued, "Roquaries are vampires, werewolves, witches and wizards. They usually travel in clans. The Fairy Queen and Pixie Queen came together, wanting war against the Dusarlas for trying to control them. They attacked us and we fought. Sayer's dad died in the war, he just can't get over the fact the pixies and fairies were doing it because of the Thariels." I sent her another puzzled look, "Thariels are old Dusarlas, evil Dusarlas. They can't control the elements, only darkness and they live to kill all the supernaturals on Valcreai."

"But I thought you Dusarlas did that anyway?" I asked.

"No, we don't fight the supernaturals, we live beside them, we are basically one of them," Dwynwen explained, she looked to the floor. I could see dark circles under her eyes and her lips were swollen and cracked. Obviously, her switching Khadi and me had taken some energy off her, leaving her exhausted. I knew it wasn't my fault, I hadn't asked for any of this, but I still felt guilty.

We entered the Element Chamber which was basically a giant dome. The walls of the dome were like glass, see through but you could walk through them, while the floor was covered in white tiles. I stood awkwardly in the middle of the dome as Dwynwen did some weird throwing, catching, twirling thing with her stone. I then noticed something, her stone was red, completely red. Mine, on the other hand, was white.

"Dwynwen, why is your stone red and mine white? Is there something wrong with mine? Am I-" I started to ramble on but before I could finish Dwynwen cut in.

"Mine is red because I specialise in the element fire. Sayer's is blue as he specialises in the element water. Yours is white because you haven't specialised yet, which can be a good and bad thing. Before you specialise, you can you all elements with ease, but when you specialise, yes, that element becomes stronger, but the rest become harder to use. Some people never specialise, like your father," Dwynwen explained, still playing with her stone.

"And if you had a choice what to specialise in what would you pick?"

"Fire, always fire."

Sayer came in and said, "Personally, I find fire too destructive, water is calm and peaceful and-"

"-fire is beautiful and warm and-" Dwynwen argued.

"-destructive and dangerous and-"

"-water is cold and common and-"

"Will you two shut the hell up!"I shouted before either of them could continue their argument on water and fire. Sayer and Dwynwen looked at me in surprise, before turning to each other to exchange a glance, I hated it when they did that. I cleared my throat after a minute and they stopped staring at each other and bowed their heads at me.