Chapter Six

They say curiosity killed the cat, well, it nearly killed me.

His voice was soft, it never once fell out of tune, it glided over to my tent and, of course, I had to know who was singing. I got up, crawling to the zipper closing my tent, forcing it up. Getting out of the tent, I grabbed Sayer's jacket and slung it over my shoulders, it wasn't as if he was going to miss it.

I walked slowly through the forest, cursing myself for not putting shoes on as the twigs and thorns dug into my bare soles. I winced as my leg scratched against something sharp but carried on, I had to find out who was singing. Creeping behind a tree I peeked out and saw a boy sitting by Eza Lake.

Dark black hair fell over his forehead, casting shadows over his pale, oval face. His golden eyes were staring down at something in his palm. He was very muscular and to my surprise was only wearing a short sleeved black top. Wasn't he cold? I felt myself shiver as cool air hit me, I would of been freezing without Sayer's jacket.

The boy was singing in another language I didn't recognise. Of course you don't recognise it! It's probably some Valcriean language. A voice told me and I quickly put the thought to the back of my mind.

I crept forward slowly and to my horror a twig cracked under my foot as I shifted my weight. The boy stopped singing and his head snapped up, his golden eyes locking with my terrified blue ones. He said nothing but jumped up from the rock he had been perched on. I gulped and edged out of the shadows, biting my lip.The boy stumbled backwards in surprise then quickly caught himself.

His expression turned from shock to anger, "Khadi!" he growled at me, his tone full of disgust and hate.

"Um.. um, I'm sorry for.. dis-disturbing y-you," I stuttered backing away slowly.

The boy raised a brow, "You're sorry? Seriously, Khadi? Do you not recognise me?" he stared suspiciously at me.

Damn, was I meant to know this guy? Panic overwhelmed me, what was I meant to do?

"Sorry, should I know you," I asked rudely, hoping my rudeness would make me more like Khadi.

The boy chuckled to himself and perched back on the rock, throwing a black rock in the air and catching it with ease. He start humming to himself again, as if I wasn't there. I cleared my throat to get his attention and he beckoned me to sit next to him. I raised my eyebrows in surprise, but it wouldn't hurt, would it?

I sat next to him, looking down at my reflection in the water. My blonde hair was a mess, flowing over my shoulders and over my blue eyes which had dark rings under them. My heart-shaped face was unnaturally pale, not my usual tan colour and my lips were cracked and dry. All in all, I did not look good.

"Khadi was a nice girl, for a Hunter, I must admit," The boy's voice brought me out of my trance and I glanced at him. He was staring over at the lake, almost as if I wasn't there, "Her mother, Elisha, was worse that her. Of course, Khadi and I had our differences, lots of differences in fact... But you are not who your parents are, otherwise I have no hope in life."

"Who are your parents then?" I asked and he looked over at me, his eyes full of regret and pain.