Chapter Nineteen

I didn’t sleep much that night. Pictures of Andor dying overwhelmed my mind. Why did he allow himself to be hurt that way? I guess he wasn’t used to anything different. I could hear Cozae snoring in the bed beside me and Ariadne fussing about in the bathroom while I laid in bed, trying to sleep.

“Genie, did you take my toothbrush?” Ariadne called out to me.

I sighed, “What would I want with your toothbrush?” The was no reply so I rolled over onto my side, trying to block out the cracks of light appearing from under the bathroom door.

I squeezed my eyes shut, willing my body to shut down and rest. What was wrong with Andor? Had I done something wrong? I just didn’t understand!

“Dead by moonlight…” Cozae muttered in between snores next to me, the girl just didn’t shut up, even when she slept. Something creaked open behind me and light flashed in strips across my face. I could hear Ariadne tip toing across the floor and getting into her bed. Flicking the switch above her head, the room plunged into darkness, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I couldn’t control the past, nor could I control the future, but the present was mine. For now.

***

I walked down the streets of Davante. I was to meet Andor at sunrise and the sky was turning lighter and lighter. It wouldn’t be long now till I was meant to be at the forest.

Pushing my way through the trees, there was some odd white light coming from ahead. Squinting, I edged closer. Andor stood with his back facing me, his hands curled up into fists.

“Father, I shalt,” He said firmly, though I could see his arms shaking behind his back.

“I know you have the Hunter girl with you,” Cerdic voice was filled with disgust, “And you know how we treat Hunters…” I bit my lip, trying to sneak forwards more without Cerdic and Andor hearing and seeing me.

“She’s different!” Andor cried.

“No Hunter is different, they’re all evil bastards,” Cerdic spat and I saw Andor edge backwards. “I expect the girl here in three days, by midnight.”

“She won’t come,” Andor retorted, “She’s smarter than that.”

Cerdic chuckled, “I’ve heard you have a bond with the girl. Clever boy, we can use that to our advantage. Before I thought you were being careless, but now I see the full picture. Use that to your advantage, make her trust you, then she shall come.” Andor said nothing. “Remember what I’ve said. You wouldn’t want me sending Thorn to do a boy’s job, would you?”

“Admit it, you like Thorn more than me,” Andor’s tone had a hard edge to it as he spoke.

“I think Thorn is stronger mentally than you, but that can change. We both know girls do not have the physical strength of boys, that is why you shall take over Tharielon after me.”

“Yes father…”

“I look forward to your visit. Do not disappoint me, Andor.” There was a blinding light then all turned dark. I could hear Andor cursing to himself, still oblivious to me watching him. He stormed over to a rock and sat down, his head in his hands. I didn’t move, even though it was pretty awkward just standing there, staring at him. He seemed to be talking to himself, running a hand through his hair as he scuffed his shoes in the dirt.

I waited for some time before realising he wasn’t going to move. I appeared from out of the bushes, expecting him to turn around or at least achknowledge my presence in some way, but he didn’t move. He was as still as a statue, no longer talking to himself. Standing behind him I gently put a hand on his shoulder, still he did not move.