Chapter Twenty Two

At first glance I counted ten, but then I noticed the masses of shadows behind them, getting closer and closer. My breath caught in my throat, my feet glued to the floor, refusing to move. I could hear someone shouting, my name was said but I couldn’t concentrate on what they were saying.

Someone grabbed my arm tightly and I shook my head, trying to clear my eyesight so I could see who it was. My vision focused on Andor’s face, he locked eye contact with me and for once I could read him like a book. His eyes scanned over me, wide open in panic. His lips were parted as if he wanted to say something but didn’t know how. I noticed dark bags under his eyes, he hadn’t been sleeping and he was frowning at me. He shook his head, a pained expression crossing his face before he covered it with his usual unreadable expression.

“Sayer,” He glanced behind me, “Take Cozae and Morgana back into the forest.” He shoved me backwards forcefully into someone’s arms. I frowned, what was Andor doing? Why did Cozae and I have to go back into the forest?

“Morgana, come on,” Sayer pulled me away but I refused to move, struggling in his grip. “Don’t make me carry you…”

“Don’t make me step on your foot,” I hissed back, “I’m good at stepping on people’s feet.”

“Well I’m good at carrying people into forests,” He growled, “Morgana, stop making things so difficult!” He grabbed Cozae’s arm and began to drag her with me. Cozae came willingly, even beginning to run ahead of Sayer back to the forest.

“But what about Andor, Ryan and Jayden?” I cried, trying to push past Sayer to get back to them.

Sayer groaned, “Morgana, they’ll be fine.” His tone was hard and I could tell instantly he didn’t believe a word he said.

“I’m not leaving them!” I argued, trying to pull my wrist from his grip.

“And if you stay you’ll get in their way! They’ll have to protect you!” Sayer retorted, shaking me, urging me to see reason. Tears formed in my eyes, blurring my vision once more as I stared at Sayer.

He sighed, shaking his head, “Please, Morgana, just come.” I gave in, letting him pull me towards the forest as I watched Andor, Ryan and Jayden become smaller and smaller in the distance.

Sayer tugged me into the forest and let me go once he was certain I wasn’t going to run back to the fight. Cozae plodded on in front and when I actually bothered to listen, I could hear her cussing under her breath. I sighed, walking slowly behind Sayer, kicking the leaves on the floor.

I tried not to think of Andor, Ryan and Jayden, but I couldn’t help it. They were outnumbered and the chances were they weren’t going to survive. Though I know it was selfish of me, I just hoped Ryan and Andor came back okay, even if Jayden didn’t. Andor was also our only help of saving Ariadne and without him, she would surely die.

But then another problem came to mind. Andor was a Thariel. Thariels were attacking them. Andor wouldn’t side with them, would he? If he did, there was no chance Ryan and Jayden would live. It made sense for him to team with the Thariels as well. He obviously didn’t like Jayden and whenever I said Ryan’s name, he tensed up, giving me the idea he hated Ryan too.

Putting thoughts of Andor, Ryan and Jayden out of my mind, I turned to look at Sayer. He seemed to be fiddling with his stone, tossing it up in the air and levitating it there. His stone kept turning white and an orb kept appearing in the air before quickly disappearing. Each time it did he would swear or kick a passing tree. At first I took no notice of him, just thinking he was frustrated with something, but that was before I realised the orb was actually a calling orb. Sayer was calling someone and they weren’t answering.