Chapter Twenty Nine

“No. No. No. No.” I folded my arms, staring at the bunch of pictures Elisha held out to me.

“You don’t like any?” Elisha cried incredulously.

“No.” I repeated myself. Truth was, many of the boys in the photos were nice, some a little weird, but I was still so obsessed with Andor I couldn’t pay attention. I didn’t want any of them, I wanted him. I doubted Elisha would approve of my choice.

Elisha sighed, “Well maybe Cameron can change your mind.” I rolled my eyes, I doubted it highly.

A boy with fire red hair entered the room, looking around as if he was lost. He saw me and waved, jogging over to us.

“Hey! I’m Cam!” He smiled at us, then he realized who we were and quickly bowed his head.

Elisha rolled her eyes, heading for the back door. She would leave and hide in the backroom, spying on us, while we had a very awkward chat that usually ended with me offending him and him storming out of the room in anger. Cam waved hesitantly at me and I frowned at him.

“Are you feeling okay?” I asked.

He nodded, running a hand through his hair and leaning back against the wall. I frowned, not believing him. He was paler than Andor and looked as though he might puke at any moment. I slowly backed away, hoping he didn’t notice.

Most of these sessions were awkward, except Cameron wasn’t even trying. Most of the boys flirted with me or tried to bargain with me, but he just stood there silently staring at the floor. Something was definitely wrong. Maybe it had finally gotten around that I was a stubborn brat who didn’t want any of the boys Elisha picked for me.

I sighed, “You know you can speak, I’m not going to try to kill you or anything.”

He shook his head, lowering his voice, “It’s not that…” I waited for him to continue but he didn’t. He just continued to stare at the floor. He was one strange boy.

“You look like you’re going to be sick,” I stated, folding my arms.

He finally looked up at me and smiled hesitantly, “Just between you and me…” he looked around and continued in a whisper, “um, can you not pick me? No offense or anything it’s just…. Well… yeah, you know.”

I frowned, “I know what?”

“I play for the other team?” he whispered.

“You’re a Thariel?” I cried.

“No, no, no!” he quickly slapped his hand across my mouth to shut me up, “I’m gay…”

“Ooooh!” I removed his hand from my mouth, “That’s what you mean. Don’t worry, run along, you’re secret’s safe with me.”

Cameron smiled appreciatively and quickly ran out the room. Elisha entered again, glaring at me.

“What was that?” she asked, folding her arms.

“Um… me… trying?” I replied quietly.

“You just turned down a Venton! They’re one of the most respected families in Ezalfar! What am I meant to say to Cameron’s parents?” Elisha cried.

That he’s gay? I replied in my head.

She rolled her eyes, not waiting for an answer, “You better try harder with Marco.” She walked towards me and turned me so I was facing the door.

A young boy entered the room, staring straight ahead. His pale blue eyes looked a million miles away and his sandy brown hair flicked over his face, masking his expression. He wore a plain blue top with black shorts and in his hand I caught a glimpse of a blue stone. He smiled slightly when he saw me but I kept my expression stone cold.