Chapter Sixteen

What do you do when the world turns against you? What do you do when your friends become your enemies? What do you do when no one listens to reason, when your voice counts for nothing? Time seemed to stop as I stood on the stage, looking at all the people staring at me in disgust.

“I guess surprise would be a bit blunt for this occasion,” Andor muttered beside me, reaching into his back pocket and taking out a black stone. I gulped, what was he going to do? He couldn’t start a war – he wouldn’t start a war! Would he? He’s an Valithor, it’s what they’ve been trained to do. I couldn’t expect anything less of him than war.

My gaze locked with Dwynwen’s. She ripped her mask from her face, her green eyes full of regret and dismay. She sighed deeply and shook her head, as if she had failed herself, and turned away from me, walking into the woods surrounding the plaza.

You know, here in Valcriea, all dreams mean something. Melissa words came back to me, and an image of Dwynwen in my dream, walking away from me, came into my head. I guess dreams really did mean something, but then why was Andor scowling at me in the dream? Was I going to d something I shouldn’t? The thought panicked me; I couldn’t lose everyone in this new world, could I?

“Khadi, Khadi!” Someone was pulling me, “Morgana, come on!” They hissed. I blinked twice, trying to figure out what was going on. I turned to see Andor pulling me. Glancing up, a black mist was flying towards us. With a scream, I felt myself being shoved to the ground by Andor, who then shielded himself from the mist.

“Brother! What is the meaning of this?” Thorn folded her arms, as an army of people wearing black appeared behind her, all holding black stones of their own. More Thariels. People were screaming in the audience, shoving everyone out their way as they tried to escape. A black dome wall appeared around the plaza and Thorn walked into the middle of the stage, grabbing the microphone off the boy holding it.

“People of Rynir,” She said, though no one bothered to listen to her, “Listen to me! Or I shall call my father to deal with you.” Thorn voice screeched and echoed around the plaza. People froze, hesitantly looking up at her. She smiled in satisfaction and continued, “As you know, I am Thorn Valithor and my brother-“

“Who prefers to be kept out of situations involving your plans,” Andor cut in, grabbing the microphone off her. Thorn sighed and with a click of her fingers, her black mist wound itself around the microphone, prying it from Andor’s grip.

“That’s nice, Andor, but please restrain yourself from barging in,” Thorn said, smiling sarcastically at him. Andor rolled his eyes, helping me up from the floor, Thorn’s gaze lingering on where our hands touched. Andor pushed me behind him, readying himself to fight.

“You put her over your pride and blood?” Thorn spat at him but he didn’t flinch.

“No, I have always been loyal to father and-“

“You call this being loyal?” Thorn stepped towards us and I felt Andor’s grip on my arm tighten. She laughed at him and turned back to the audience, “You shall give me what I came here for. One, the Hunter, and two, I want the Rynir gem. Now.” Gasps echoed around the plaza, bouncing off the black dome walls. Rynir gem? What was the Rynir gem?

“Andor,” I whispered in his ear, “What’s a Rynir Gem?” He pushed me backwards slightly, trying to create space between Thorn and us.

“Each city has a gem, that gives the city power and keeps the city running. Each gem has an unlimited magic power and in such hands as my sister’s, could mean danger for all of Valcriea.” Andor whispered to me, his gaze never leaving Thorn.