Chapter 3 Date Night

A few days after the battle with Papyrus, Frisk sat on the couch where she had been sleeping, rubbing her sore back. The couch had felt hard and uncomfortable, but it was better than nothing. Papyrus walked down the stairs and into the living room, eyeing Frisk's back with a concerned expression. Lately, the two had become better friends, and Papyrus was good at reading Frisk's expressions. "ARE YOU OKAY HUMAN?" He asked her. She nodded, "Yeah I'm fine, just a sore back." He sighed with relief, "OKAY, GOOD. I WAS ABOUT TO GO MAKE SOME SPAGHETTI FOR BREAKFAST, BUT I WAS WONDERING IF WE WERE EVER GOING TO GO ON THAT DATE." Frisk thought about it for a moment, she only thought of Papyrus as a friend and nothing more, but she had told him that she would go on a date with him after they had fought. So she shrugged, "Sure, when do you want to hang out?" "MAYBE TOMORROW?" Frisk didn't see a problem with that, so she smiled at the skeleton. "Yeah okay. We'll just stay here though okay?" Papyrus agreed, and Frisk was glad he wasn't making a big deal about it. Then he left to go make some spaghetti, and Frisk sighed. It was only one date, but Papyrus tended to be quite dramatic, so hopefully he didn't do anything crazy.

When Sans and Frisk sat at the table, waiting for Papyrus to finish 'breakfast', Frisk leaned over to whisper to Sans. "Are we really going to eat this for breakfast?" Sans laughed quietly "You're going to have to get used to it. But I brought two sandwiches from Grillby's to eat before he finished cooking so you don't have to eat on an empty stomach. It's not really breakfast food, but it's better than nothing." Sans pushed one of two brown bags he had on the table towards Frisk, and she accepted it gratefully, "You're the best, thanks."  He grinned, "No problem, now you better eat fast or Papyrus will see you with that sandwich."

It was less than half and hour before Frisk was going to go on her date with Papyrus. He had been out all day shopping for who knows what, and had only just gotten back home and isolated himself in his room. So Frisk was left with a quiet house, staring into the bathroom mirror, impulsively rubbing the red heart locket she had fallen into the underground with. She was seventeen, she had gone on a few dates before, and this wasn't even serious, but she still couldn't help feeling a little nervous. She stopped rubbing her locket, and leaned down over the sink to wash her face, when she felt two hands on her shoulders. She turned around and yelped, backing up against the sink, only to see Sans smirking at her, a few centimetres away from her face. "Hey kid." The skeleton said to her, "Are you getting ready for your date?"Frisk sighed, "You almost gave me a heart attack Sans, stop appearing out of nowhere like that! And stop talking about this date like it's serious!" Sans laughed, enjoying Frisk's reaction to him and the blush that was creeping up her cheeks, "Oh I never said that you thought that it was serious, I'm just saying that Papyrus thinks that it is." Frisk moved away from the sink, causing Sans to back away from her and lean against the wall, "Are you trying to make me mad at you?" She asked, crossing her arms. Sans laughed again, which didn't help his cause. "No, I couldn't be bothered to do that, too much work, I'm just telling the truth and watching this all play out. I'm not lying y'know, Papyrus really thinks that this is serious." Frisk put a hand on her head and sighed, replacing her anger with a series of mixed emotions. "Yeah, you're right, and I'm just getting mad because I know that you're telling the truth, I'm sorry. I just made a promise to Papyrus without thinking, and now I don't want to hurt his feelings. Now I'm just leading him on and I feel terrible!" Sans saw how sad Frisk was, and his grin disappeared. "Hey, don't worry, you're not leading him on, you're just sticking to your word, and that's a good thing! C'mon stay determined!" Frisk looked up at Sans, who had stepped towards her. "Are you sure I'm doing the right thing?" She asked. He nodded and Frisk put on a brave smile, "Okay Sans, I trust your judgement. I'll stay determined."  Sans smiled at her and gave her hand a quick squeeze. "You better." he said to her kindly. With that, Frisk marched past Sans and up to Papyrus's door,  knocking on it loudly. "Papyrus?" She called out to him through the door "Can I come in?" She heard footsteps from the other side of the door, and soon later, it opened, revealing a smiling Papyrus, who she had heard enter the house while she was talking to Sans. "HELLO HUMAN!" He said to her enthusiastically. "ARE YOU READY TO START OUR DATE?"