sixteen

magnolia walked into the diner and got a booth big enough for the four of them. she kept her left hand on her left pocket of her shorts. magnolia knew the paparazzi were snakes, so she didn't want the word of her engagement getting out before she had the chance to tell her best friend.

rosalie and sebastian walked into the diner with chris ten minutes after magnolia had gotten there. she didn't mind waiting though. magnolia wasn't sure if she should've put the ring on or not. it was too late to change her mind now.
"rosie!" magnolia stood up and ran towards her best friend. the two put their arms around each other and held on. rosalie pulled back and looked at her friend.
"why does it feel like i haven't seen you in forever?" she asked.
magnolia laughed. "i don't know." she said, pulling away.
"hey, sebastian." magnolia gives sebastian a friendly quick hug before turning to chris.
"it's nice to see you again." she says, giving him a quick hug. she had never felt more comfortable and awkward at the same time.

the way they sat in the booth was very generous to magnolia. rosalie sat to left while sebastian and chris sat across from them.
"so you had something you wanted to tell me?" rosalie asked, turning to magnolia.
magnolia's heart fluttered. she didn't know what to do, lie it off? no. she was a taken woman and her feelings for chris didn't matter at all. she had to let them go.
"yeah." she started to dig in her pocket to pull the ring out. magnolia pulled the ring out of her pocket and slipped it on the ring finger of her left hand.
rosalie's eyes got wide.
"what?!" she screamed. rosalie got a few dirty looks from the elderlies in the diner but she didn't care.
"i'm engaged."
chris's face dropped. magnolia's heart plummeted into her stomach. she wanted to be with chris, then why was she with ryan.
"how long have you been engaged?" rosalie asked.
"two and half weeks."
"girl talk. now." rosalie grabbed magnolia's wrist and pulled her to the bathroom. inside, rosalie checked the stalls to see if anyone was in there, and there wasn't. striding to the door, rosalie turned the lock and spun around to glare at magnolia.
"no. you can't marry ryan. you're in love with chris, for god's sake!"
"whhhhaattt?" magnolia blushed, rosalie knew it was true, everyone knew.
"why did you say yes?" rosalie asked.
"i love ryan."
"yeah. keep telling yourself that." rosalie put her hand on the lock, just as she was about to unlock it and leave magnolia in the bathroom alone, she turned back to magnolia.
"i will support you with whatever you do. you're my best friend."