thirty-five

2 YEARS LATER

the water waded up around magnolia's ankles and the sand hugged her toes. she pulled her light gray sweater closer to her body as she stood in the waters of maui. she didn't go any further into the dark water but stayed where she was and admired the view that was presented before her. a light gust of wind blew against her, blowing her hair to the left. magnolia looked up, away from the ocean and into the sky where millions of little specks of stars sparkled. she released the breath she had been holding in and closed her eyes.
the nerves inside her chest wouldn't slow down and let her breathe. she knew that everything would be okay and work out the way that they wanted it too but she couldn't help feeling jittery before the big day tomorrow.
she felt a hand fall on her lower back and chris stepped next to her. she leaned into his chest, keeping her arms close to her body. they stood there together, magnolia wrapped in chris' arms, watching the ocean keep moving up and down the sand, never stopping. they watched as the world continued to spin around them.
magnolia looked up at chris and smiled. she felt the happiness fill up her heart and contain her soul. chris' eyes slowly lowered down to meet hers. he smiled, filling magnolia's heart with more happiness. chris leaned down and put his lips onto hers. she gushed. they pulled away and chris let go of magnolia. he started to head back to the hotel behind them.
"i'll see you at the alter, okay?" he smiled and squeezed her hand before slipping into the darkness of the night.
magnolia was so in love, she could feel herself going numb. she knew she had to go inside but the she felt stuck where she stood with her feet swallowed in sand being washed up by the sea water. her arms fell to her sides and slipped into the pockets of her sweater. slowly but gently she lifted her feet from the sand, the holes in the sand where her feet used to be began to be washed away by the salt water. inside her pockets, she could feel the ring on her finger rub against the knit of her sweater. the feeling that she felt knowing that this ring symbolized chris' love and commitment towards her. and with that, she couldn't wait to be his wife.

THE NEXT MORNING

magnolia rolled over in the big white hotel bed to find her sisters and friends surrounding her bed. she grinned and rubbed her hands over her face. they all wore grins on their faces as they watched the bride-to-be sit up. marguerite excitedly put her hands together above her 7 month pregnant belly.
"i ran a bath for you and they're sending up breakfast for you. we're gonna have a great day." marguerite smiled.
magnolia couldn't help feel overjoyed. she crawled out of bed and pulled her sister in for a hug. they pulled back and magnolia headed into the bathroom to take her bath. rose petals were laid around the tub, a bath bomb was set on a small white dish by the faucet. smiling, magnolia picked up the bath bomb and put it close to her nose, inhaling the scent. gently lowering the bath bomb to the clear water, she drops it in. once the bath bomb is fully submerged under the water, the pink and blue color began to fizz out and mix with the water. magnolia walked to the counter and looked in the mirror. she tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear before dropping her robe and stripping of pajamas. it took her six months for her to slim down into her wedding body just for one day, but one day that was going to leave an impact on her life forever.

in just a matter of hours, magnolia was going to be mrs. chris evans. magnolia had had two years to get over the shock that she was finally going to marry the love of her life but she hadn't yet, it had yet to be the greatest thing ever to happen to her.
after her bath, magnolia walked out of the bathroom and into the room to find all of her bridesmaids laughing with curling irons and straighteners in their hair. magnolia smiled and went over to join them. marguerite got up and wrapped her arm around magnolia's waist.
"you ready?"
"as ready as i'll ever be."