Chapter 34

Dylan

I don't know how long I sat on the chair, as I tried to make sense of what just happened.

I had tears in my eyes.

I don't know just happened. I know she loves me. I don't doubt that. So why? Why did she reject my proposal?

I looked around the place. The place I worked hard on surprising her with. This was supposed to be an amazing night for the both of us.

I sneered at the thought.

What a fucking joke.

I closed my hand on the box tightly. I wanted to fucking throw the ring across the room, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. So instead, I opened the box and stared at the ring.

The moment I saw this ring, I knew it was the one. It was meant for Katherine.

I closed the box, not being able to bear looking at it any longer.

I stood up, and made sure to lock up, before turning to the sidewalk to go for a walk.

I lied. I didn't have to go to work. I just couldn't bare to be near Katherine without my heart breaking. I know she didn't mean to hurt me. I saw her own pain in her eyes, but that doesn't make her rejection hurt any less.

I wiped my tears away and started to walk.

Katherine

"Please take me to Jasmine," I said.

I can't go home.

I just can't.

"But..."

"You're with me Jack. Clark and Paul are right behind us," I said. "I need to see my best friend."

He nodded.

***

"You should have seen his face," I choked out.

For the past how ever long, I've told Jasmine what happened and the whole time I unable to control my emotions.

"Why did you say no?"

"Because I'm afraid. God I'm so stupid. I'm such a coward. I thought I've gotten past this. But when he was telling me how much loves me, I just kept thinking of this faceless monster that's after me. I won't be able to truly be happy and be at ease until he's caught Jas. I'm scared that he's going to come after everyone I love."

"Oh sweetie," Jas said, as she wrapped her arms around me. "You can't let fear win. You can't let this sick man win. You can't make your decisions based on fear. Stop waiting for the other shoe to drop and fight for what you want. Keep fighting."

Fresh tears gathered in my eyes.

Damn it. I just can't seem to stop crying.

"Dylan loves you and he will protect you. He won't let anything happen to you. Security on you is tight. Hell, even mine. Do you see those two he had assigned to me? They look like the wall of fucking China."

I couldn't help it, I chuckled.

She laughed a little. "Honey, do you want to marry him?"

I nodded without hesitation.

"You have to be honest with him. Talk to him. Tell him how you feel and he'll understand."

"I hurt him terribly. What if he doesn't forgive me?"

Jasmine snorted. "Please. That man is so in love with you, he can't see straight. He looks at you, and sees you. I've never seen a man look at a woman and see her for her she truly is. It's beautiful to see. He looks at you like you're the universe. Yes, you hurt him, but trust me, his love for you is far greater than anything in this world. He won't let you get away, just because of this hiccup. And by hiccup, I mean your stubbornness and momentary lapse in judgement."