Chapter 1

A/N: I originally had Lucas and Maya's ages be 16 and 17 but have decided about 13 chapters in that I want to change their ages. They are both going to be 17. It suits the story better in my opinion so I have changed that. I want her and Lucas to be the same age. I'm actually going to make a chapter probably on her and Lucas upcoming 18th birthdays. I'm choosing the month to be April for Maya's and March for Lucas so they will be 18 soon. 

Maya POV

When I turned 16 one of the first things I did besides getting my own car and drivers license was try to fine a job.  It just so happened that the perfect job came up for me when I saw an ad in the paper. A single Mom was looking for someone to babysit her child for her so she could work. This hit close to home for me because my mom was a single Mom also. Our bond is so special and I couldn't imagine my life without her in it.  I never knew my dad because the minute he found out my mom was pregnant with me he told her he wasn't ready to be a Dad yet. Once she knew that it was only going to be her and I she did everything she could to make money for us to survive off of. My mom told me that she would rather it be this way than for him to be in my life and then leave. Even though she worked a lot I was always the first priority in her life. Her best friend Topanga was a big help because she and her husband would babysit me when my mom worked. That's how Riley and I became best friends. Riley Matthews is the same age as me. Topanga was pregnant with her when she started watching me. It was destined that Riley and I would be best friends. 

I drew a red circle around the ad that I found in the newspaper and then picked up my cell phone so that I could call the number. The woman's name was Bethany Friar and she has a 6 year old daughter named McKenzie. Bethany's previous babysitter went to college so she needed someone to watch McKenzie after school until she got home in the evening around 11:00PM. The great thing about this job is that Mrs. Friar didn't live that far away from me and the hours worked out great for me. After talking to her over the phone and then meeting her in person a week later she hired me. McKenzie was such a wonderful well behaved little girl. After meeting her I had a great feeling about this job. My first day was going to be on Monday and I couldn't wait. 

After the bell rang at 3:00 I headed straight to my locker to grab my things so that I could get out of there and go pick up McKenzie at the elementary school. I was so wrapped up in making sure that I had everything that I didn't even heard Riley walk up to me. 

"Hey peaches, I hope your first day goes over smoothly." she said with a smile. 

"Me too, thank's Riley." I said before giving her a hug. "I have to get going. I'll text you." 

When I arrived at McKenzie's school she was already waiting for me in the lobby.  After verfiying with the office ladies that I was here to pick her up we made our way out to my car. I helped her get buckled in and then off we went. When we got home I gave McKenzie a snack and helped her with her homework.  I put on some cartoons for her and then started my own Homework. The only thing I had do was a history assignment from Mr. Matthews.  Even though I knew him all my life as Cory I still had to keep it professional in school so I just got used to calling he and his wife Mr and Mrs. Matthews. 

After dinner I put on a move for me and McKenzie. We settled on Frozen because it was her favorite. It didn't take me long to figure out that McKenzie was quite the cuddle bug. About 20 minutes into the movie she grabbed a blanket and cuddled into me on the couch.  

"Maya?" McKenzie said causing me to change my focus to her instead of the movie. 

"What's up Kenz?" I asked. 

"I miss my brother."  she answered. 

I looked at her confused "You have a brother?" I asked. 

I didn't remember Bethany saying anything about having a son. 

"Yeah, his name is Lucas. He lives in Texas with his Daddy but comes to visit us when school is out or when it's time for Santa Claus to come." she replied. 

I smiled and then gave her a small hug, "I'm sure that you brother misses you too and will come visit you soon." 

I didn't want to ask McKenzie any questions about her brother. I didn't know the circumstances around him not being here and that made me really curious. Why was her brother Lucas in Texas with his Dad? Did Mrs. Friar abandon him or did something happen that he got taken away?