Chapter 13

"Rohan...". She squinted her eyes, pressing heel of her palm in her socket and saw his blurred face hovering above her through her foggy vision.

 "It's alright, I'm right here." He pulled back her hair from her face and stroke her cheek gently as her eyes fluttered close at his touch savouring the feeling  and texture of his cold hand against her warm cheek. Something cool and dripping wet was draped on her forehead. Beads of water disappeared into her hairline and fell into his pillow and her hand flew to touch the washcloth that had been cooling her temperature down. She removed the washcloth and tried sitting up, coughing and he adjusted the pillows for Melanie to rest her back.

"Take it easy, you've fever." He told her and poured her a glass of water. He had changed his bed sheets, she noticed, clean ones that didn't have his musky scent of body and sweat, thick coating smell of sex of him that had comforted Melaine in his bed and it made her frown a bit at the loss of those sheets against her body.
"I went to your house...". Rohan after changing his bed sheets started cleaning the blood off her face and neck with the wipe cloth and checked if the concerned girl had any injury or wound for blood to be there on her body. He immediately went to check her house and found the blood on floor and walls, and a torn teddy bear stabbed in its belly. There was a wish card propped up on the table and Rohan read the elegant, old fashioned writing and the words on it were scribbled with black ink pen, 'Happy Birthday'.

 "You went to my house?" Melaine's entire body tensed that didn't go unnoticed in his periphery.

"My first thought was calling the police but then I thought it's best to wait for you to come around and talk." He explained himself and Melanie missed the view of his chest and those hard muscles of his abdomen that he had hidden beneath his shirt. The shirt irritated her and she had to bit her tongue from asking him to remove his shirt so that she could drink in his form and curiosity made Melaine wondered what the sharp V and thin trail of hair disappearing into his pants were hiding from her, though the answer wasn't oblivious to her.

"Don't worry about it. It's nothing big." She stuttered looking down at her hands.

"What do you mean it's nothing big?"

"It's just a prank...". Rohan raised his brow at her quizzically and she passed her pink tongue on her lips that gave him distracting thoughts.

 "It's my ex-boyfriend."

"Your what?" He said it aloud in shock. Melaine, the girl, who couldn't manage to make a normal human talk had an ex-boyfriend?

"You heard it right." She remarked at his surprised exclamation.
"Why would your ex-boyfriend do this?" He questioned having hard time swallowing the knowledge about Melaine having a boyfriend.
"Because I broke up with him and he's sent to jail for being abusive that pretty much explains now what he did."

 Melaine looked outside of the window towards her house. He had always been abusive but it took 'her' sometime to see through his facade of smile and love to his heinous face and corrupted soul.

"Where are you going?" He questioned Melaine who removed the sheets aside to get up from the bed.

"Home?" She answered eyeing him in confusion.

"Stay in bed and I'll get you something to eat." Rohan got up walking towards the door.

"But..."

"I said stay in bed, Melaine", he repeated himself looking back at her. Melaine heard him going downstairs and silently got up padding towards the door and smiled to herself wiping the sweat off her neck.

"You're going to be my ex-boyfriend."

Rohan came back carrying bowl of tomato soup for her and placed it in her lap.