Chapter 35

The yellow-black barricade police tapes covered the entire area in a criss-cross pattern to preserve the crime scene restricting the public entrance in the guarded area by the police. Police led their trained dogs to sniff around the scent of the missing girl from the trees back to the main lane. Sam stood outside the crossed area; watching cops in silence doing their work from sidelines who were taking pictures of the footprints and tyre prints of the car on the dusty ground and the road that was leading away from the thick trees at the backside of the cemetery. It had been two hours and thirty minutes, no two hours, thirty minutes and forty-five seconds as he corrected himself since she had gone missing and the night hour made it difficult for the police to have a surveillance of the crime scene.There's no other person who could lay his hand on the the girl except the one whom they both met before David's accident.
 He had handed the police the sketch and pictures which Annie had had of the train guy, anything to get to that person and find Annie's whereabouts and police started working on that person's profile for his identity right away. One of the cops bent to pick up the trampled rose on the ground with his gloved hand and put it in the plastic bag for the finger prints for the identity of the abductor.
"We'll get the car's plate number through the tyre prints and if we're lucky enough to have finger prints on that rose we'll get that person's identity."
Captain explained to Sam who didn't pay much attention to what Captain was telling him. His mind was distant from present, concerned about the well being of Annie fretting the chance of her being dead because it had been almost three hours and there's no phone call from that person which made him more worried about that person's intentions towards David's family.The Captain left him to talk with the forensics on the scene and Sam walked away from the surveillance area. He had left her for only for twenty minutes at the funeral site to give her privacy of mourning in silence but he didn't know that when he would return she would be gone as if she had never been present there to begin with. He had found her cellphone broken on the ground at the graveyard. He started looking around for the girl in panic, calling out for her and entered the trees at the backside of cemetery where he found shoes print on the dust and long trails of fingers as if someone had tried to claw at the ground in a struggle. He noticed the trampled red rose on the ground, the colour of which belonged to David's funeral flower and his eyes zeroed in fear and he called the police at the scene reporting her missing knowing that something must have happened in his absence. David's death which Annie claimed with bold confidence a murder since he's working on a homicide profile put the entire police department in action upon the girl's disappearance.

Sam pulled out his cellphone to call Annie's mother about the current situation regarding the incident and told her that police was doing their best in finding Annie. He briefly talked to Samantha's fiance who had taken Annie's mother back at home to rest who went in panic attack after hearing the news of her daughter gone missing. Sam ended the call, massaging his face in exhaustion and pressed a call to Rohan with whom he couldn't get in contact since last day. The call got picked after few minutes and Sam didn't waste a second of his breath to speak to the person.
"Rohan? Where are you man? I've been calling you since morning and you aren't answering us. Do you have any idea that..."
Before he could complete his sentence the call got disconnected leaving Sam to stare at his phone's screen in disbelief. Rohan hung up on him?He's going to throw his phone in the fit of rage; his nerves were already on edge of snapping given the whole ordeal of two days of David's death and Annie's disappearance. He stopped himself from smashing his phone, reminding himself that it wasn't time to act irrational and decided to meet Rohan at his place. He left from there asking the Captain to inform him if they find anything about person's identity. He got inside his car driving straight towards the Rohan's house. It's strange that both Rohan and Melaine weren't in contact with them since morning and didn't reply to his voice messages either regarding David's death.
Sam stopped the car outside Rohan's house and walked towards the door after locking his car with remote. He rang the doorbell waiting for the other male to answer him and started knocking at the door when Rohan didn't open the door. He pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration and called Rohan on his landline number tapping his foot in impatience for him to pick up the phone.