Chapter 25

Melaine paced the length of corridor outside the ICU room as she heard a police officer interrogating the woman and bit on her thumbnail in the anxiousness slightly pulling at the edge of nail between her teeth. It had been the considerate of the woman who after the accident immediately had taken Rohan and Melanie to a near hospital. Rohan had to be admitted to the operation room for his head surgery, but not before the involvement of police in the matter for it had become the case of attempted murder. The officer questioning the woman disturbed something inside Melaine that put her at the conflict than the accident itself. The least she had desired, in the silent battle inside her mind, was Rohan's death at her hands.
"Officer David", she snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at the inspector who had come to investigate her about Rohan.
"I'd like to ask you few questions, Miss ..."
"Melaine", she swallowed and eyed his intimidating built that invaded the sense of peace of her mind.

"Miss Melaine." David eyed the girl and remembered that he had once interrogated her about a High school student's murder. He hadn't expected to run into her again; atleast not in murder case that seemed to put her directly under his eye of investigation.

"You were present at the site of accident?" He put a straightforward question at her and Melaine shifted uncomfortably under his scrutiny.

"Hadn't that woman already witness for me that I was being assaulted?" Melaine questioned the officer back.

"Rohan assaulted you? The officer's mouth fell open at the revelation of true event before the accident.

"Sexual assault in your book of law." Melaine remarked and gestured towards his police badge who had a hard time swallowing the truth about Rohan down his throat. There are things beyond one's imagination, Alan thought, what he had committed in his childhood was far beyond  something to be believable than something so insignificant as being forced upon.

"The lady saw you arguing with him before pushing him in front of car."

"If someone is chasing you from the bar and tries to force himself on you, it calls for self-defence." Melaine scoffed at David crossing her arms.

"I don't think any woman likes to be pounded against dumpster, officer."

"If you're victim yourself then why did you take him to hospital?"  

"If I had fled from the scene, your men would've arrested me otherwise for interrogation." Melaine retorted.
" The lady had seen us fighting besides, it wasn't intentional. He's my neighbor too."

"Isn't he your friend?"

"A friend who tried to force himself on me." Melaine grimaced at the fragility of the situation in which she had found herself because of Rohan. One wrong move and she would get entangled in web before her fly.
"Do you want to hold charges against him?" Melaine shook her head and looked away.
"For now, I don't. It's my fault that he's in critical condition."

"Thank you for your time."

Melaine nodded her head and bit her inner cheek at the retrieving back of the officer whose sister, she doubted, couldn't have been left out about Rohan's accident. Melaine sighed and sunk down on the chair putting both hands on her  mouth in thoughtfulness. The accident hadn't been the part of original plan but she needed to take charge of reeling situation in her own hand. Things had taken surprisingly a drastic turn and the course of the game had to be changed beforehand. Melaine thought that it's better to call Annie herself than letting her know about Rohan's accident from David's mouth. Melaine pulled out her cellphone and pressed call to Annie, jiggling her leg in impatience as she heard the beeping sound in the background.
"Melaine?"
"Hello, Annie?"
"Is everything alright? You have called me this late."
"No, actually it's..." Melaine trailed off sparing a glance towards a nurse that had entered the ICU room.
"Mel, you there?"
"Rohan had an accident."
"What? H-How?" Annie sounded panicked in the background to Melaine's irritation.
"I will tell you later, first come to the hospital."
" What hospital?"
"City Medical Care, ground floor. I'm in waiting lounge outside the ICU room."
"I-I'm coming right away."