Chapter 14

The man, carrying red paper folder, stepped into the elevator and pressed the button to 9th floor. He looked down at his wrist watch and snuck his hand into his coat's pocket tracing a sharp edge of paper card. The door dinged open and he made his way to his apartment taking long strides .He stuck key in the hole, rotating it and Mrs. French from the next door who had just come back from her work smiled up at him going through her bills. He opened the door and entered inside his apartment. The man removed his muddy boots at the door and pulled off his brown coat hanging it on the cloth stand.The mails and bills were scattered on the floor and he bent to collect them. He went through the bills and placed the on the refrigerator along with his folder before walking into a small room. He switched on the light and looked at the polaroids taped on his wall. There's photo of girl with black ponytail in newsboy cap and electric blue eyes. Then, there's picture of her at the public park in hooded jacket and at restaurant, in ginger hair wearing a caramel coat. The same girl with grey eyes and shoulder length dark ebony hair was standing at the bus stop in her black blouse and purple jacket. At the underground subway, the girl, now with sharp cheekbones, had medium messy chestnut hair and white shirt with brown leather jacket and he had taken a picture of her holding strap of her bag. He reached for his coat's pocket and pulled out a fresh new photo of her in blonde hair that were pulled back with a hairband and dark brown eyes. She was wearing her plum blouse standing at her locker. He stuck the photo on the wall and smiled at his transformation over years.

"You've grown into a beautiful woman, Alan."

-
The boy padded softly to his sister's bedroom hearing their voices and laughter. He peeked inside the room through the crack and saw the man sitting at the edge of bed beside his sister whose arm was in sling. She was playing scrambles with her good arm and the man said something to her that made his sister giggle. The boy, fisted his hand in his night trousers and left from there to the stairs. The boy looked back at the room and stood at the eighth step of the stairs. Smirking to himself, he removed his slipper on the step and pushed himself off the edge tumbling down the stairs. He heard the running footsteps and his voice calling out for him.
"Alan?" The man turned him over and saw the blood coming out of his mouth and nose. The man picked him up and grabbed his car keys running outside of the house. The girl looked at her brother's bleeding nose and mouth that twisted up in a smile as he waved back at her sister.

-
"I'm bored!" Annie finally exclaimed in exasperation as she slapped close her book grimacing and looked at Sam who's preparing for his test.
"Sam", Annie poked her pencil in Sam's closed mouth and he groaned taking her pencil between his teeth and closed down his book.
"What's it you want, girl?" Sam removed the pencil between his fingers and pretended to blow smoke on Annie's face.
"Stop studying, boy!" She snatched his book and crossed her arms on it possessively. They both looked at Rohan and Melaine astonished who're snapping through the pages frantically as if they would be the ones topping the class. Melaine was going through the bookmarked pages, noticing important highlighted points while Rohan who's sitting on the top of chair was staring at the pages as if he had been given photographic memory.
"What are you doing?" Melaine looked up at him from her book confused.
"I'm trying to imprint pages on my memory because I can't understand a word."
Mr. Wilbur entered the class and Rohan jumped down settling in his seat as professor started distributing them with test paper and instructed them with rules.
"Keep your heads down and mind your own business." He told them, sparing Rohan a menacing glance, and went to sit on his seat. Rohan stared at his paper and looked at Melaine and Sam who were moving their pens across the paper. Rohan marked the options blindly with his pen and grimaced slumping down in his seat.
"Pss, Samie bastard!" Rohan whispered to Sam who looked up from his test frowning.

"What?" Sam whispered back.

"What's the option of seventh point?" Rohan asked making sure not to get caught at Wilbur's hands.

"Dick" Sam mumbled and Rohan winked at Sam marking a tick on D option. Rohan leaned over his chair and Mr. Wilbur caught him trying to cheat.

"You, Mr. Rohan leave the class immediately!" The man shot up from his seat with loud ripping sound that echoed the entire class and class burst out into laughter at Professor Wilbur's ripped pants because of the glue on the chair.

"You!" He pointed at Rohan who was trying to stifle his laughter, "To detention room." Rohan grimaced at the professor and entrusted him his sheet before exiting the class. The boy entered the detention room and picked up a broken chalk from the floor, tossing the piece in the air before catching it. He sat on a desk and the door opened revealing a smiling Melaine walking inside the room.

"What are you doing here?"

"Don't know", she shrugged stuffing hands in her jeans pockets, "I thought it would be bad to let you have all the fun of detention."
"Don't tell me you told him that you're partner in crime?" He questioned the girl who propped herself on the desk beside him.
"You got it right, bro."
"Don't call me bro, lady."
"Ouch!" She chuckled and looked at his scowling face sideway.
"You're the quite loud type." She told him chewing her gum.

"What? He raised his brow at her.

"Oh you know what I'm talking about." The realization hit him like sack of bricks and he blushed at her words.

"Your moans could be heard even at my house." She stated for him relishing the memory.

"So? It aroused you ?" He teased back entering the unspoken territory between the two.

"What if I say it did?" She quirked her brow at him and a cough made them jump apart.

 "Test was rather boring." Annie complained and sat between them.

"You too?"  Rohan asked surprised.

"Yep, bro". Annie answered

"Stop calling me bro, ladies", he frowned at the amused Melaine.

"Bro is a code-word for hot stuff." Annie gestured at his crotch. Rohan sighed at her and both girls burst out into laughter.

"Test was fantastic!" Sam exclaimed barging inside the room.

"You're dead, Samie!" Rohan cracked his knuckles and stalked towards the Sam hauling the shorter male over his shoulder.

"It's you who put glue on Wilbur's seat." Rohan dumped him on the desk and Annie held his arms above his head.

"Man, I confessed to him after completing my test." Sam tried to explain as Rohan started undoing his buttons.

"Oye bastard!" Sam yelped when Rohan stroke taut muscles of his abdomen.

"Mel, say something." Sam craned his neck to look at Melaine with pleading eyes.

"Rohan, make sure to tickle his armpits."

"Melaine!" The boy shouted at her, "Ok, I'll treat you guys with drinks at my place".

"Did I hear Party?" Rohan bent down grinning at the boy and pinched his nipple.

"Yes, yes. Now get off me!"  Sam kicked Rohan off him and immediately buttoned up his shirt.

"You ladies coming to Sam's house? Rohan questioned the girls who were busy with their cell phones.

"I've a date with Frank." Annie told him and the boy's name made Rohan's mood curt.

"I hate that boy..."

"Because you couldn't get to lay your hands on him." She pinched his cheek knowing it would work on her annoyed friend.

"Whatever!"

"What about you, Mel?" Sam asked Melaine who slang bag on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Sam. I have a shift at salon." Melaine told him being apologetic.

-
Rohan was walking to the principal's office after detention when he bumped into a man and pulled back cursing at himself.
"Sorry man...", his eyes bulged out his sockets when he looked at the man, whom he met at the club the other night.

"You?"

"Professor Darren."