Chapter 36

Trigger Warning

"How was Melaine?" Rohan asked pursing his chapped lips and bent his neck to look down at the girl who's half-asleep on the top of his chest cradling her left arm in her palm to support relocated bone of her elbow which Rohan had bandaged with the torn sleeve of her gown.

"What did you ask?" She asked him stirring on the top of him and he noticed her face scrunched up in a frown at the mentioning of other's girl name.

"How is Melaine doing? Did she know that I went missing?"

"We had not been able to reach her since this morning." She answered rolling off his torso and lay on her right side on the hard futon with her back facing him.

"Do you think she is alright? I'm having this awful feeling in my guts that something bad must have happened to her."

 Even they had had a fight in their relationship, he couldn't help but become concerned for the girl whom he dreaded to be in some sort of danger after his abduction. He wondered if she had noticed his sudden absence and became worried for his sake, and he knew that she would have been worried for him. He was pulled out of his distressed thoughts when a deep rumble of laughter ringed his ears in the silence of the room and Rohan's brows shot up in surprise at the girl who was having hard time controlling her laughter much to his agitation.

 "What are you laughing at?" He glowered shifting to lie on his side.

"You're questioning the wrong side of things, Rohan." She turned to face him, coming in nose to nose contact with Rohan and met with his soft breath fanning her cheeks in the cold wetness of the room. The contrast of his warm breath on her numbed face against the cold temperature of the water tank made her shudder under his scrutinized gaze.

"What do you mean?"

"She might not be what you think she is, Rohan." She looked past his shoulder, suddenly becoming interested in the walls of the confined room instead of meeting his eyes that were clearly questioning her.

"What do you hold against Melaine?" His words caught her off guard and she snapped her gaze back to his grimacing face.

"Do you think I have something to hold against your Melaine?" She shot back pulling back from him to put some distant between them on the futon which suddenly became too small for the two people to share but the distance between them became of the miles that neither of two could cross even if they wanted too.

"You have always seemed to dislike her. What do you expect me to say?" He answered observing the tensed girl who stared back at him with mouth agape in complete shock at his accusation.

"What are you exactly trying to imply?" She sat up suddenly wincing in pain when she realized the she had put her left arm on the futon to support her weight to sit upright, Rohan's hand was quick to steady her which burnt her skin acidic where it touched, and reprimanded herself for being so careless in treating her injured arm. His touch brought her more pain than her arm and she wondered where they both went wrong in their friendship.

"You hate Melaine because I chose to be in a relationship with her over you." Annie glared at Rohan for few seconds in anger, completely taken aback by his insulting words and bit inside of her cheek to hold herself back from slapping him because of her breaking resolve at his words that came out of his mouth without any second thought and realization of what he had actually spoken. Had he thought so low of her that she would be envious of his happiness?

"You can fuck each other for all I care in the world but don't come crying to me when your little Melaine stops playing her game with you." She blasted at him and lay down on the futon facing away from him. He had some serious attitude problem because of his inflated male ego and she didn't have the strength in her to deal with him right at the moment because she knew that there was no point of explaining herself to him as it would never mend their relationship as it was before.