Chapter 3: A Love Like War

----

And the bitch of it all is that I'm running from,

The desire of the people to whom I belong.

At the end of the day you can tell me I'm wrong,

'Cause you went to all of this trouble.

-

The second I walk into the store I notice the bruise under Kellin's eye. It's hard to miss. It looks fresh and painful. I make a mental note to ask Kellin about it when he finishes work. He had texted me this morning and asked me to meet him at the coffee shop then we can leave and go down to the beach or something.

I watch Kellin as he counts change whilst biting his lip in concentration. He honestly looks adorable but I instantly shake that thought out of my head. He has a boyfriend. I need to chill.

I can see that it was probably easy for him to get a boyfriend. I mean, he's absolutely gorgeous inside and out. Jesus Vic, control your thoughts.

Kellin spots me and gives me a small wave as he takes his apron off. I smile as he walks around the counter and over to me.

"You good to go?" I ask and he hums in response.

He follows me out of the shop and we start walking down the street towards the beach.

"So what happened to your face? That bruise looks bad." I ask half trying to strike up conversation, half concerned and interested.

"Oh, I just fell. You know, clumsy me." He laughs half-heartedly though I sense the nervousness in his voice.

I give him a confused sideways glance and he looks away like he's hiding something. I decide not to ask him about it, I have only known him for a week. In fact, I barely know him at all but I hope that changes today.

We get to the beach and just sit at a table a little bit up from the beach. There's a hotdog stand nearby so I get up and buy Kellin and I a hotdog along with a can of soda. He eats it happily whilst I just stare at the bruise on his cheek. I know he said that he fell over but I just have the strangest feeling that he's lying.

"What?" Kellin asks noticing that I'm staring.

"Oh, nothing. You're just beautiful." I say trying to cover it up but then my eyes go wide as I realize the inappropriateness of what I just said.

"I didn't mean it like that! Well, I did, you're beautiful of course. But it was just a compliment. I wasn't flirting with you or anything!" I panic and Kellin just laughs.

"Vic, it's fine. I know how to take a compliment." He chuckles and I feel my face go red.

"Oh okay. Uh, sorry." I mumble not really sure why I'm apologizing. "So how's college?"

Hopefully the change in subject will distract him from my embarrassment.

"Good, good. I finished that essay and got a score of ninety-seven." He explains and I smile proudly.

"That's really good, you must be smart." I say and he shrugs.

"Nah, not really. I'm more good with art and stuff but I like learning." He says and I nod.

"Any more talents?" I ask interested.

He looks thoughtful for a bit.

"I can cook, I guess." He smiles.

"So you're an artist and a chef." I smirk and he laughs.

"I wouldn't say it like that." He blushes. "So what are your talents?"