Chapter 23: Guts

---

Buried in my heart
Lie awake and dream of
The endless possibilities
Catch my breath and go for it
Take apart
Everything that's
Holding me down
Make a point
To pick a new direction
To make a new connection
Is this what it feels like?
Finding out
That I've got the guts
To say anything

-

I pull my suitcase behind me as I walk down the hall to Vic's apartment. I stop at his door and let out a shaky breath. This could go one of two ways. I tell him how I feel and he rejects me so I get on the next flight to my mom's. Or I tell him how I feel and he tells me he feels the same way then we live happily ever after. I literally have nothing left to lose.

I'm about to knock but then I hear muffled yelling from inside.

"I can do it anymore, Mike!" It's Vic.

"What are you going to do? Show up on their doorstep? Then what?" Mike shouts back.

"I don't know. I can't just sit around here worrying about him when Calvin could be killing him!" Vic explains and my hearts aches. He really does care about me.

"Vic, you could get hurt." Mike whines.

"That's a risk I'm willing to take." Vic mutters. "I'm going to get him."

Suddenly the door opens and Vic comes to a sudden halt, seeing me standing there. I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. What do I even say?

Thankfully, I don't have to think about it any longer. Vic throws his arms tightly around me and I hug him back, feeling more safe, more comforted than I ever have in my life.

"I have things to do in town. I'll be back later." Mike smiles then he squeezes past us and leaves.

"I was so worried." Vic sniffs.

"I'm so sorry for leaving. I wasn't thinking straight. I'll never leave again, I promise." I whisper.

"Did he hurt you?" Vic chokes out.

I pull out of the hug and cup his cheek, smiling lovingly at him.

"That doesn't matter. That's not why I'm here." I murmur and he looks confused.

"Why are you here?" He asks confused.

"Can I come inside?" I question.

"O-oh yeah. Of course." He then takes my suitcase from me and we go inside, into the living room to where I had kissed him. He puts my suitcase to the side and we sit down on the sofa.

Once we're comfortable and all is quiet, I take his hand and decide to answer his question.

"I was doing my final assessment in my fine arts class today and I had no idea what I was going to paint so I just let my heart guide me, and I ended up painting you." I tell Vic and he looks surprised.

He begins to speak but I cut him off quickly.

"Ssh, just listen." I tell him and he nods. "When you told me you liked me, I freaked out. It just didn't sound right to me. It's like I just believed that if someone treats you right then they can't like you. That's what I was taught."

He goes to talk again but I shush him once again.

"Just let me finish." I interject. He nods again. "I realized something after I painted you. I realized I want to be happy. And I want you. And I can only be happy with you. I love you, more than I ever loved Calvin. And it's okay if you don't feel that way, but I know you feel something."