What a Bundle of Joy | Three

Chapter Three; What a Bundle of Joy

---

After studying and doing homework at Jeremy's, I headed home, and climbed all the ways upstairs to my room.

I took a seat at my desk, located to the right of the door in my room.
"That's Not It" I groan. As I began ripping the paper out of my notebook, crunching it into a ball, and throwing it behind me.

I yawn, turning on my phone checking the time. 8:02.
 My Parents are working late, again. Well, at least that's what Rowan and I are told. Rowan and Luke usually get takeout. So when it comes to food, I'm on my own.

I rub my eyes, readjusting the crocked glasses resting against my face. I groan as I get up, barely feeling my legs. That's what you get when you sit on them. I walk down the steps, each step either looking like either I'm heaving some type of seizer, or I'm a lopsided penguin.

I end up in my kitchen, opening the refrigerator with a yawn. My eyes landed on the window, which shown the view of the sun setting. If only it was always that beautiful. I turn back to the fridge, tapping my foot as I glance around at the shelves of the fridge.

"What can I make that won't include me burning the house down?" I quietly ask myself, still tapping my foot.

"Well that would be absolutely nothing!" My step-brother Rowan walked in chuckling as he looks to me.

"Oh fuck you Row." I grin, closing the fridge and looking to him with my arms folded.

"With Pleasure!" He quickly snickered back, a grin filling his lips as he bows. Soon walking past me with already bitten brownie in his hand. He freezes at the entrance of the kitchen turning to me once again.

"There's Some of Ma's homemade Casserole on the bottom shelf Bea." And with that he rushed back up the stairs, and into his room.

I quickly scramble through the bottom row of the fridge, pulling out the red tuba wear container. I lick my lips, grabbing a plate from the cupboard and putting half of it on it.  My mom made the Best  casserole in all the land, and by land I mean neighborhood.

I placed the plate in the microwave, pushing in the buttons, 4 and 0 before pressing start. I walk to the living room, plopping onto the black couch and snatching the remote off the glass coffee table, gently kicking my feet onto it. I press the 'power' button, just as the microwave beeps, and the scent of my Mother's Casserole Fills the air.

I quickly got up, rushing to the microwave, and pulling out the steaming plate, gently setting it on the counter. I walk across the kitchen, opening a drawer and grabbing a fork. Soon after grabbing a glass and filling it with water.

I walked back to the couch, carrying the steaming plate, fork, and glass of water. Glancing to see what was on the TV. Ugh, some sporty thing. I shake my head, placing the plate down and brushing my hands on my sweatpants.

I scrolled through the channels as I shoved a mouthful the delicious casserole into mouth. Finally landing on some csi show.

I hear footsteps walking down the steps as I raise an eyebrow starring at the screen. "What do you want now Row?" I said quickly, watching the TV screen as the footsteps soon stop.

"And Who said it was Row?" Ask a deep husky voice. Far too low to be Rowan. So with the beautiful spark of common sense, it's Luke.

"Oh." I said blankly, looking over towards the end of the stairs. "It's you." I growl at him, turning back to Television screen.

"Well then, aren't you just a bundle of joy." He muttered quite loudly, walking toward the cupboards, grabbing the pack of Oreos from the top row. That I'm still too short to reach. Though, when it comes to food. I have my ways.

"I am indeed." I snicker, taking in another mouthful of casserole.

Soon enough a body slumped onto the couch next to me, "So What're we watching?" He asks, popping the last bit of one of the Oreos in his mouth.

I roll my eyes looking to him, "Do you ever get the idea that I don't like you. Nor do I enjoy your presence on the earth."

"Do you ever get the idea of that, I don't really care?" He asked, raising an eyebrow, a grin filling his lips. This wasn't his usual cocky grin. It was Different . It was him. Not some phony Bad Boy cover up.

"Touché" I mutter, turning back to some screen. Pinching my lips together as I finish the last bite of my casserole. I was currently sitting criss-cross. My back against the cushions of the couch. "Aren't you suppose to be upstairs with Row?" I ask softly, I wasn't in that bitchy of a mood for now.

"He fell asleep.. Again.." He chuckled a bit, shaking his head. Pulling out his phone and checking the time, before slipping it back into the pocket of his sweatpants.

"I should uh get to bed.." I mutter softly, getting up. Rushing to the kitchen and taking a deep breaths, there were many reasons on why I was silent. I shook my head out of my thoughts, placing my dirty plate in the dishwasher and finishing my water.

I Sneak past the doorframe to the Living room, running up the steps as I called a 'goodnight' out to him. Soon hustling to my room.

He was an asshole, yet kind, yet a monster, with a light. Though he lost the light in the darkness.

---

unedited

- Rachel Sierra

August 26th