Mistakes and Mysteries

The Titans usually meet each other every morning at seven o'clock. Over the years they had spent almost every morning together in the kitchen.

Today, Starfire arrived the earliest, granted she had tossed and turned in her sleep. The conversation last night had followed her to her dreams, and it had taken an ugly form. Starfire had dreamed she had taken off the mask. Robin was just a shadow in the bed, his face a twisted blur. His voice was no longer his, "Star..." He said sadly. "Why? I trusted you."

The scene changed and this time she did know who he was, however, she did not find him at all the Robin she knew. She did not like the person behind the mask and it had shaken her. What if the persona of Robin is what lured her, the mystery of Boy Wonder. And if that would all fall away and the mystery no longer present, will she still feel the same after the revelations of her love?

"Star? Are you okay?" Beastboy approached her, his face curiously stepping into her line of sight. Starfire couldn't help but chuckle nervously, embarrassed she was caught in reverie.

"I was just thinking of... Slade!", Starfire lied, knowing well his name would only evoke unpleasant memories, perhaps, serve them as a reminder that he was a figure proven far too hard to rid off. A haunting figure ever so clever in the shadows.

"Don't worry Star, we'll catch him," Beastboy said uncharacteristically. Quiet and serious, as if he was assuring himself as much as he was assuring her. But it only lasted a few seconds, he went back to his usual self again. With a large smile, he offered her some tofu sandwich, which she had politely declined.

"No thank you, I wish to treat myself with a mixture of pancakes and Tamaranian Slorghthock today. Perhaps you would like me to make you one?" She had asked.

Beastboy smiled nervously, "Eh, uh, no thanks Star. I don't trust how red and goooey this stuff is." Starfire pursed her lips but then saw Cyborg behind the greenish boy. She happily moved past Beatboy, then approached the metallic boy with the joy of sharing homeland delicacy. But he too declined.

Cyborg smiled awkwardly, "A-ah no thanks Star. Traditional bacon and eggs are good enough for me." He said as he set his eggs on a big wide plate. He poured a cup of coffee and began to eat.

The conversation had expanded since then. She was now sitting with her red pancakes, along with a glass of milk.

"So you're saying that this guy we're dealing with is actually Slade in disguise!?" Beastboy said in surprise, taking another bite of his tofu sandwich.

"I'm not saying he is Slade in disguise, I'm just saying that he talks, walks, and plans like him. It most likely is, but it's been years since we last saw him." Raven said, setting down her book; her finger easily flipped a corner of the pages before doing so. Her hair grown, almost over her shoulder blades, she leaned forward when she continued, "And the last time we did see him, Robin said clearly that he was actually dead. His face was a skeleton. Plus, my father promised him that he would give him his flesh back if he did what he was told. My father never keeps his promises," Raven paused, doubting for a moment, "but who knows."

"So there is no telling whether he succeeded or not. But if he did then it's all Slade all over again." Cyborg drank his coffee then burped.

"Nice," Raven said under her breath. Beastboy laughed out loud, then patted his chest, releasing an even louder burp.

"Nothing better than the sound of a full stomach," Cyborg said, elbowing Raven. She looked upset. But then again, most of the time she did. Starfire didn't say anything, focusing on her untouched pancakes while glancing at the door. It was nine o'clock already. Where was he?

"What was his name again?" Beastboy asked.

"I think he called himself Death Stroke. If he is Slade then Robin's gonna-"