We Fight Back

"But I don't want to go, mother, I want to stay here and protect you," Rigel looked up to his mother, eyes large and full of hope. He had been feeling dizzy these past few days from a heavy cold, but now it felt as if what her mother had announced swept his sickness away. His mother put a hand on his head, "I know dear, but I have your father to protect me." She smiled, "So don't worry,"

"But mother, I don't want to go to the palace. The prince can protect himself; he's going to be king, isn't he? Then he should be the one protecting," Rigel said, facing his mother with determination. This time he will win this argument and stay home. No one is going to send him away!

"That's very true," His mother chuckled. Well, that was easy. Rigel thought.

"But even the greatest Kings and Queens of the past had someone standing behind them. If their backs were laid bare, then it is free for anyone to stab, is it not? You will be a shield, a protector, and you will make sure the king do what he must. And..." His mother added before he could say anything else. "I would be very proud if I see my son stand beside the future king,"

Rigel woke up with a gasp, breathing uncontrollably; his hands grasping for anything to hold, for anyone to reach him, but there was no one there. He sobbed.

A wave of realization washed over him like cold water. He had lost an arm. An arm. His foot was throbbing with pain, his throat dry, his heart sore, and his eyes stinging.

"Don't move too much," A gentle voice said.

Rigel eyed the girl standing next to him, her short hair and long robe blocked the sunset light; casting a shadow over her face. He swallowed, "Where is Yudit, and Vega?"

"They're outside, Robin woke up and they needed to see if he was alright,"

"And you?" Rigel demanded, "Are you not going?"

Raven glanced to the side, "You're also important." She said. Rigel looked away abruptly, not convinced. It was so odd, the way he felt sometimes. It was so full of contradiction. He wanted to be alone, he wanted her to leave him to cry, and sob, and scream. But at the same time he didn't want to be alone. He knew, if she left him, he would be broken alone. And he did not know what was worse.

"Are you hungry?" She asked, taking a seat next to him.

"No," Rigel answered, trying to hold his tears in vain. They won't stop falling. The girl took a glass of water from the table, "Here drink this, it'll make you sound better when you cry,"

Rigel couldn't help but smile. The girl asked, "What's so funny?"

"I-I don't know. What you said, I just think it's funny," Rigel said, taking a sip of the water. It felt cold and fresh on his tongue, "Thank you,"

"I'd thought you'll take it personally," The girl took the glass and placed it back. Rigel stared at her, "I'm sorry to say this but I don't remember your name, what was it again?"

"Raven," She said, the purple of her eyes were exotic and hypnotizing at the same time. Rigel had never seen a pair of eyes like those before, not even from the humans on earth. But then again, she was never a real human was she?

"It's nice to know you," He said, leaning back against his pillow. It was wet with sweat and for a moment he nearly asked for a new one but decided he could do it himself later.

Raven turned away from him and mingled with something inside a small purse. It was black with small silver star-shaped drawings around it, a large full moon in the middle. She reached in and when she turned around, she held a large book in her hand; one that couldn't possibly fit in the black purse.