Burdens Burdens

There were shadows cast down by the tall towers of Tamaran, covering the land behind it as the sun sets in the west. There, between the two smaller towers were three parallel corridors stretching to the distance. Raven stood just outside the outer part of the inner castle, where the borders separated where the main palace stood and where the outer part was. She could see there were people walking around purposely, busy with whatever task they had. Besides the long corridors was a large garden. Even from here she could see how beautiful the garden was made and what had happened to it.

"My room is there, at the very end," Yudit said, climbing down from the large hand. Raven turned her head to him, "You shouldn't be walking, your ankle is going to get worse."

"Huh, I had a sprained ankle once, my mother told me to walk it off." He smiled as he said it. But she could hear sadness between those words as if he was remembering a distance memory.

It was odd sometimes how surprised she could be when she listens to someone talking about their mothers. She had a mother but she never talked about her, sometimes she even forgets that she had one. The Titans also never talked about where they came from, did they have siblings, or if their parents still looked for them. It felt like The Titans members were simply abandoned by their elders. But of course, she thought to herself, even an alien would have a mother.

"Sound like a hard mother." She commented.

Yudit shrugged, "I was already chosen to be the prince companion then, I had to be strong for Vega. It was part of what I was going to be."

Raven thought about Rigel as well, the softness of his face and tender care shining from his eyes. And then she remembered the asteroid field they had passed and how the three went through that. "I don't mean to offend you, but Vega seems to protect you and Rigel."

"That's true," He smiled again, sadly. He placed his elbow on the pillar and rested his forehead there; shadows covering his face. "The truth is, royalty blood is always stronger than the people. The story of the past told of how the king protected not the other way around. Vega can do fine on his own, it's just that its part of the protocols. The prince needs friends and we were the one chosen."

"The kingdom chose wisely." She said to him. Yudit lifted his head at that, "Thank you."

"I guess that's because of the last attack?" Raven pointed towards the burned spot in the garden. From here it looked as if someone had dropped black paint on a large painting of colorful flowers. She wondered what had happened there.

"I came here after the first attack," Yudit sat down, finally giving up on his ankle. "When we came things were already done, the king was killed. We didn't stop here and flew straight to earth. It was Vega's idea. He knew Starfire needed to know since the first princess is in no condition to rule."

"Where is Blackfire?" She asked.

"Calcarme." He stared at the blotched garden with hard eyes. "After what she did to Starfire she should be sent to Azriah instead. At least there she would really be treated like a criminal."

"I have a feeling none of you are fond of Blackfire," Raven observed.

Yudit looked at Raven, the corner of his lips twirled, "Can you blame us?"

"No," She answered, biting her lips. She never thought she enjoyed talking to someone this much, she suddenly noticed. Even back home she never really talked to any of the Titans members, not like this. Not so casually and long and comfortable. There was just something about Yudit, from the darkness in his eyes, from his honest smile, and obvious pride of never wanting to be seen weak, that made her feel Yudit could understand her, that he would not judge.