I'll Take My Chances

One of the things her mother had ever said to her as a child was how amazing their gardeners were. Starfire stared out of the window, remembering that piece of her memory with a heavy heart. The garden was now abandoned to rot. The rosy stripes of red flowers covering the top of a small maze had all died and withered. The patches of yellow Episo on each side of the maze were now brown, nearly black, and most of all; her mother's favorite purple Laomne were burned to ash. It was what was left of her mother, she had designed this garden herself, planting the flowers as well, watering them all sometimes with laughter as their father joined. It was all before she died, and now it's all gone.

Starfire felt a pile swelling on her throat and pushed it down.

"Starfire," A voice said from the half-opened door. Starfire turned around, finding Raven holding a tray of hot Nuslas, and pieces of cut Culoka. These few days after their arrival, Raven had decided that she loved Nuslas and Culoka more than anything they ever served her. It was made from Nuslas beast from the mountains, which tasted like beef, and Culoka were basically Carmaliaq eggs made into some kind of roll.

"I know you're down, but you can't keep on skipping meals, here, I ordered these myself," Raven set the tray down on the table, "I even watched and helped them crack the eggs. Which they found extremely bothersome," Raven looked up, then slowly her smile faded away.

"This isn't going to help Robin get better," She said in a low voice. Starfire turned towards her, "Than what will?" She sat down almost abruptly, one hand on her forehead. Raven sat beside her, one hand on her shoulder, "You know he'll wake up,"

"But it has been days," Starfire couldn't help but feel she was being childish, acting as if from everyone else she was the only one worried, can't stop punishing herself with the guilt she couldn't put to rest. "If only I had gone up there myself if only I did not listen..."

"Starfire," Raven set her hand down, her tone serious, "Nothing that happened a few days ago was caused by your failure or anyone's failure; if you had struck that man than everyone would see you as someone that acts by emotion. You did the right thing," Starfire said nothing to this. She looked at Raven, with her purple hair, the slight blue rings under her eyes, and sad lips. She wondered if Raven had ever felt the way she did, the way someone feared losing the man they loved. How could she, when she had never fallen in love? Starfire thought then, looking out the window. She took a deep breath, "Any news from Cyborg?"

"Yeah, but you have to eat your breakfast first," Raven reached out a hand, the table was pulled silently in front of them. "And when you're full, you get to hear what he has to say. Believe me Star, everyone is as worried about Robin as you are. Even Red-X," She said with a hint of amusement. Everyone couldn't seem to put to rest the fact that she had thrown Red-X like a bag of potatoes. So Beastboy had commented when he saw it happen. The green boy, everyone says now, had come out of the infirmary when the incident happened.

"You know I don't beg," Raven said in a low tone, "So don't make me,"

Starfire managed a smile, and then took a bite of her food. Until then, she didn't realize how hungry she was. Raven took her leave, shutting the door behind her. Alone, Starfire took very big bites, her stomach growled gratefully. Raven was right, she needed the energy.

The hall leading to the infirmary was half destroyed. There were holes in some places as she went by; the color was the same as always; a mixture of red and gray. Some parts had splotches darker, marked with spilled blood. The smell, not like anything she ever smelled, was terrible. Some of the maid's had ever tried using soap to scrub it off, but no matter how hard they tried, the stain won't come off.

It was then followed by another set of opened halls with what was left of the garden. There were still bushes and Pink Greinus, that on earth would be like Pink Forget Me Nots. She sighs, putting one hand on her chest. Her heart was beating very fast, nervous for some reason. What if Robin never wakes up, what if he's the first thing this war will take from me, Robin, oh Robin, please don't, Starfire bit her lips.