Chapter 4

Carlota’s P.O.V.  

As I sat there, unbelievably talking to Miguel Bañuz and Sergi Gómez, I saw Samper take her in his arms and dive into the obviously freezing Mediterranean waters. Gómez decided to go for a swim with that Russian girl so I was left alone with Bañuz. We had a really nice chat and I definitely liked him. He seemed to like me too. “So…do you have a girlfriend?” I was pretty direct after a few minutes because I needed to know. I figured I had nothing to lose.

“I wouldn’t be flirting like this with you if I did.” He said and winked at me. He got up and his chiseled, Speedo-clad body stood, imposing, beside me. He offered me his hand and helped me up as we made our way to the shore, a huge smile on my face. As we walked over, we saw them playing chicken and Ana’s body crashed the surface pretty fast. It wasn’t really a fair fight because Gómez and Janina are way better-built than Samper and Ana María. I went in the water putting on a brave face against the cold as we made our way to them and I saw her come in from behind Sergi Samper and wrap her arms around his neck from behind. He whispered something to her, craning his neck to look at her, and I thought they were going to kiss. Atta, girl. I said to myself even though the kiss was yet to come.

After we all shared jokes for a while, someone, I don’t remember who, started a water fight. We pushed water towards each other, screamed and laughed. Miguel took me as his primary target and I was almost drowning from all the water he was pushing on top of me. I started coughing because some of it had gotten into my mouth. He stopped and swam closer to me. “Hey, are you ok? I’m sorry. It was just a joke.” I stopped coughing and took the opportunity to attack him before he suspected. He looked at me with a shocked expression and unexpectedly took my body in my arms, pulling me to him. “You cheater.” I placed my hands on his chest and enjoyed this moment, his eyes looking right into mine. He seemed to look behind my head and pecked my lips with his before I could react. I opened my eyes wide when he stepped back to look at me. We swam back to the group and I smiled, fighting the urge to place my fingers on my lips and make sure that had just happened.

Ana María’s P.O.V.

We were still pushing water at each other when I saw Miguel with Carlota in his arms. I tried not to squeal as he thought no one was watching them and pressed his lips against hers quickly. I would ask her about it later. Right now, everyone was starting to make their way back to our spot between the trees. We followed suit and I walked behind Sergi. Right when we’d stepped out of the water he looked back, offered me his hand and I took it. He laced his fingers with mine and we made our way to our blanket.

“Hey, Ana. Come here a second.” Janina called me over so I let go of Sergi’s hand and went over to her. She was asking me something about what I thought of her and Gómez together. I said something along the lines of: “you’re blonde, tall and beautiful. What’s not to like?” She smiled at me and let me go. As I made my way back, I saw Sergi was propping himself up on his elbows, his legs open. I bit my lip and decided to sit between them. My butt was level with his knees as I didn’t dare slide back further.

“Is this ok?” I asked. “No.” He answered. I was startled by his response and started to get up as I felt him wrap one arm around my torso and pull me back so I could lie against his chest. “Now it’s perfect.” He said as I looked up at him and smiled. “Hey, Sergi! Put on some music.” He said as he handed him his iPod from his bag. “I’ll put my iPod on.” He said. “Oh no you won’t. Your music sucks. Here.” Everyone laughed as they argued.

Sergi finally gave in and put on his iPod through the speakers. As everyone else buzzed behind us, he looked down at me and his hair tickled my face. I smiled and he brushed my chin quickly with his thumb. It feels much better than you think. Sometimes, it’s even sweeter than a kiss on the cheek. “Is anyone going to help me with the food?” Screamed Javier. “Janina? Miguel? The lovebirds?” He asked, ‘the lovebirds’ being us. Everyone made kissy noises and I wanted to crawl under a rock. I placed my hands on my face and everyone laughed. “Don’t listen to them.” Sergi said as he removed one hand from my face. We smiled at each other and watched the sun set.