Chapter 13

“We’ve arranged so you can keep studying here next semester. I’ll be paying your tuition and you can stay here with me.” It all seemed too good to be true. I sat there motionless as he studied my face. “I know it’s a lot to consider. I’m leaving for training and you can answer when I get back. It’s entirely up to you. I don’t want you to feel pressured.” He slid his hand behind my neck and pulled me to him to kiss my forehead.

I kept covering myself with the sheets and, for some reason, looked away when he stood up to change in the bathroom. I took his button-down shirt from the floor, where I’d taken it off him last night, and put it on. I opened the curtains and stood behind the sliding door looking at the beautiful sunrise.

He came back in the room completely dressed in his FC Barcelona training kit. I saw him through the sliding door reflection and he approached me. He slid his hand across my abdomen and pressed my body to him. I closed my eyes and breathed in, taking in the moment. “I think I’m putting your parents at a disadvantage when I say you look so sexy in my shirt.”

I looked at him and smiled. “You cheater. They have no leverage. You, on the other hand…” He bent down and pressed his lips against mine. “I can do that.” We smiled at each other but his expression changed as he separated from me. “All jokes aside, please take everything into consideration. Remember that your family misses you, that your sister misses you, all those times you’ve been homesick…” He was trying to even the playing field because if he’d have kept kissing me, there would have been no doubt in my mind.

“I’ll be back in about four hours. Whatever you decide, I’ll be here.” He smiled and I nodded. He made his way to the door and, right before leaving with his training bag across his chest, popped his head back in and added: “Oh, and please let me take you to the airport. If you decide to, you know…” I nodded again. “I know. Have a good training session.” He smiled again before disappearing through the door…

I walked along the beach, trying to clear my head and think as rationally as possible. I’d been away from my family for almost eight months now and I really missed them. I wanted to see my sister, my mom, my dad… I’ve always been a family girl. But now there was Sergi. I’d never had a serious boyfriend and we’d been together for almost five months. I was pretty sure I loved him and it would destroy me to leave him. Then again, I needed to go back to my family. Or did I really?...

I had completely made up my mind as I waited for him in the same position he’d left me this morning, looking out the sliding doors. I heard him come through the door and didn’t look back. He left his bag in the bedroom and came back to the living room. I looked back at him and half-smiled weakly. I took three huge steps and wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him deeply. It took him a few seconds to wrap his arms around my waist and kiss me back. I broke the kiss and laid my forehead against his.

“Got it. I’ll take you to the airport. I just have to…” I shook my head against his forehead and he separated to look at me. “I’m staying.” I said softly, my mouth breaking into an uncontrollably huge grin. He took me in his arms and spun me around. I’d reached the decision thinking it was time for me to grow up. I wasn’t sure whether I’d be with Sergi for the rest of my life but what I did know was that studying here, being in this country made me the happiest I’d ever been in my life. And I didn’t want it to end. I had to leave the nest at some point and, to my understanding, this is the moment to leap.

He kissed me again and I kept breaking the kisses because I couldn’t control my smile. “I have one condition, though.” I thought about this too and I did not want to budge. “Anything.” He whispered as his mouth moved to my neck and he kissed me there. “I’m not letting you pay my tuition.” He stopped cold and separated to look me in the eyes.

“Anything but that. Ana María, you can’t pay for another semester’s tuition here. Your university’s not going to cover it.” “I know. I’ll get a job. I can pay for it. I can…” “Ana María, please. Let me do this for you. Take it as an ‘I love you. Thank you for staying’ Present.” “Sergi, no. I can’t let you do that. It’s your money…” “Just shut up and kiss me.” He said as he took my face in his hands and devoured my mouth. I gave up arguing because, well, I enjoy kissing him too much.

He shifted his hands to my waist and I slipped my hands into his wet hair. He pushed me toward the small hallway and into his bedroom almost without breaking the kiss. He pushed me by the hips toward the bed and I let myself fall on it as he let go of my body. He took off his shirt and his shower hair fell back on his shoulders instantaneously. I laughed and put my hands over my head as he removed my shirt, threw it on the floor and fell on top of me. I slipped my hands into his wet hair once again and smiled: “I’m not letting you pay.”

He smiled before leaning down to kiss my neck and I sighed complacently. “We’ll see about that.” He whispered in my ear and kept kissing my neck. I wrapped my arms around his neck and wiggled under him. “Cheater.” I managed to whisper. He pulled back and I almost whined in desperation. Don’t stop. Don’t ever stop. “Call it what you will.” He leaned down again and kissed me deeply. Before separating from me, he took my lower lip between his and bit it softly. I moaned and he looked down at me, satisfaction on his face. “How about now?” I shook my head and pulled up to kiss him again.

He pulled away and I frowned automatically. “Not until you say yes.” “You are such…” I slapped his chest playfully but I was a little annoyed by his little charade. Get me completely in the mood and make me say yes. But my brain wasn’t working anymore, just my hormones. I kneeled on the bed, making our eyes level, and looked at every inch of his face, desire taking the place of rational thought. “Fine. Yes. Come here.” I said as I pulled his face to me and kissed him. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kept kissing me. We made love tenderly, calmly because we didn’t have that sense of urgency hanging over our heads that I was leaving. It had been even better than the first for that sole reason.