Chapter 9

Ana María’s P.O.V.  

Sergi had finally asked me out on a proper date and I was really nervous. Even though I’d been around him a lot, it wasn’t the same being alone with him. He came to pick me up in a Mercedes. I opened the door and let myself in. “Wow. Nice ride.” I said as I slid in.

“It’s my mom’s.” he confessed and I laughed. I looked at him and he slid his hand in his hair, hanging his head. “Why did I just say that?” he said, more to himself. I chuckled and placed my hand on his cheek. “I thought it was cute.” He smiled and I pressed my lips against his softly. “That’s why I’m dating you.” He pecked my lips once more and turned toward the steering wheel…

He drove us along the coast and we shared life experiences, jokes, customs, family antics…a lot of things that made us feel closer to each other. He finally parked on a street I did not recognize and led me to a restaurant. It looked really nice and, therefore, really expensive. He shyly asked for a reservation under Samper and walked behind the host, holding my hand.

He pulled out a chair for me and pushed me in. I don’t think I’d ever seen anyone do that in real life. He sat down across from me and we ordered our drinks. We examined the menu but I really didn’t know what to get. This was all really new to me. “You know what? I don’t like this place at all.” He said all of a sudden and I breathed a sigh of relief because I felt the exact same way. I’m not that type of girl.

“Me neither.” “Let’s get out of here.” He said as he left a twenty euro bill on the table to pay for our drinks and the service. He took my hand and led me out of the restaurant. “Let me take you to where I usually go with my family on the weekends.”

We went to a much less formal place. More like a café, actually. Perfectly my style. We sat on the table he chose and the waiter arrived pretty fast. We ordered our food together with the drinks. Actually, Sergi ordered for me because he insisted I try a plate with various types of fish. The food arrived shockingly fast and I talked while I ate, as I always do. Sergi was done with his plate while I was still halfway through mine.

He chuckled as he looked at both plates, comparing them. “Don’t make fun of me. I’m a slow eater.” “The problem is that you talk too much while you eat.” I was reminded of my mom as he said that and felt an embarrassment that shook my very core. I’d never been able to change this about me no matter how hard I tried. I noticed I had my head down when he said: “I think it’s cute, though.” I looked up and chuckled as he applied a variation of the line I had used just a few hours ago. I kept eating and thought I’d found the man of my dreams…

Later that week, we’d decided to go to the movies and, after having gone out with him on a proper date, I felt a stronger connection. I felt more at ease around him. Like I could relax and be myself. I didn’t have that pressure that I had to be someone I’m not just to be liked. I was me and he liked me that way.

Today, the rest of the group was composed of Denis and his newest squeeze, Janina and Gómez, Tomâs, Danny and Carlota. She didn’t feel confident enough to ask Marc and Miguel wasn’t ready to be around her. Suddenly, I heard my phone ring. I let go of Sergi’s hand and he turned and frowned at me. I pointed at the phone and he nodded.

I gave my back to him and stepped away from the group to answer. “Hi, mom.” “Hi, sweetie. What are you up to?” She would’ve seemed fine to anyone else but I immediately picked up something was wrong from her tone. I answered normally, though: “I’m at the movies with Sergi and some other people from the house and the team. Why?” “That’s great, honey.”

I frowned and cupped my hand over my other ear so I could hear better. I started to pace like I always do when I talk on the phone. There was a long silence and I knew something was wrong. “Mom, what is it?” “I’m sorry. I don’t even know why I called you. I don’t want you to worry.” “It’s too late for that, mom. I’m already worried. What is it?”

“Your sister. It’s nothing extreme but she was hospitalized for her stomach pains. I called because she wants to talk to you.” I felt a pang in my chest and my eyes tingling with tears. I covered my mouth and faced away from the group. I closed my eyes and braced myself so my voice wouldn’t break. “Pass the phone.” I whispered, barely holding myself together.  

Carlota’s P.O.V.  

I saw her face right before she’d turned around and I knew, whatever it was, that it wasn’t good. Sergi was caught up talking to Gómez and Tomâs and his back was to her. I interrupted him and pulled on his arm to whisper in his ear. Thankfully, the conversation continued without him.

“Sergi, I think there’s something wrong with Ana María.” His expression changed completely and when we both turned to look at her, she was pacing and we could see her profile. Her face was redder than usual and she was breathing through her mouth. He almost ran over to her and I’m pretty sure he caught her in his arms just before she broke down in tears in the middle of the movie theater. I looked away because it seemed like a private moment for them.