Chapter 10

Ana María's P.O.V.  

I breathed in through my nose and out through my mouth to hold myself together. “Ana” I heard her say very weakly through the phone as opposed to the usual very perky greeting I got from her. I covered my mouth and, right before I broke down crying, I felt his arms around me. I buried my face in his chest and placed my free hand on it. He just held me there as I breathed and that sole gesture made me feel confident. Having him here made it a little less painful.

“Isa. How are you feeling?” He must’ve inferred the situation as he tightened his grip around me when he heard her name. “Not so bad. I just wanted to hear you. I miss you.” I grimaced and clutched his shirt in my fist. I started breathing again but it seemed like this time, nothing could hold the tears back. He kissed the top of my head and whispered: “Stay strong. For her.” Those simple words out of his mouth gave me the strength to respond: “I miss you, too. I wish you could see all this.”

“All I want to do is meet this Sergi.” I had to chuckle as I looked up at him and he smiled: “I can’t wait for you to meet him. He’s perfect.” I caressed his cheek with my thumb and he smiled. He saw the tears forming in my eyes and knew there was nothing to stop them now. I hate crying in public but he makes me feel so at ease. Like we’re the only two people in this movie theater. He removed one hand from my waist to ask me for the phone. I smiled and passed it to him.

“Hello, Isabel? This is Sergi Samper… Yes. The very same.” He chuckled and I smiled knowing she must’ve asked him if he was that Sergi. “I hope you get better really soon, ok?” How he knew she was sick, I didn’t know but now the tears started rolling down my cheeks. They were a mixture of emotions; sadness and happiness all in one. My sister was sick and I wished I could be with her but I felt so lucky to have a guy like him in my life.

I slid my hands behind his neck and stroked his hair. He wiped my tears with his thumb and continued: “I just want you to know that your sister loves you and misses you very much.” He held my face with one hand, removing the tears that kept rolling down my face. “Yes. Yeah, I’ll tell her. Ok. Feel better. See you soon. Bye.”

He hung up and I didn’t give him a chance to do anything as I stood on tiptoe and crushed my lips against his urgently. I kissed him fervently while the tears kept flowing and I inferred he slipped my phone into his own pocket because I felt his fingers grip my waist as his arms held me firmly against his body. I felt like if there was ever a moment, it was this one. “I love you.” I whispered as I caressed his cheek and looked into his eyes.

I felt it and, from what I saw there, he did too. He didn’t even need to say it. “I love you, too.” He kissed me again and pressed my body against his as much as possible. He took the weight of my body in his arms as he kept kissing me and I didn’t want this to end. He separated from me and smiled a sympathetic smile. “Want me to take you home?” He asked. “No, no. I need to take my mind off things.” He kissed my forehead and I stepped away from him so we could make our way to the group.

He slipped his hand around my waist and held me close as we walked. He took my phone out of his pocket and gave it back to me. I put it in my purse as he paid for the tickets and we went inside where the group was waiting for us. I knew my face was all puffy and I wanted to hide it from everyone but when they saw me, they gasped almost in unison. “Ana María! What happened? Are you ok?” asked Tomâs.

I looked over at a worried Carlota and shook my head grimacing, dismissing the whole thing. She smiled, understanding my gesture. “Guys, she’s fine. Mind your business. Let’s go watch the movie.” Sergi said authoritatively and I thanked him silently for not making me explain. I slipped my arm around his waist and we followed everyone into the movie theater.

“Ok, if we’re going to sit between three couples you have to promise us you won’t make out.” Screamed Danny while standing up and therefore getting the attention of the whole theater. We stood behind Tomâs as Danny noticed his place was to the left of Janina and Gómez then came Carlota, then Denis and that girl, then Tomâs and then us. Sergi had his arm around my waist from behind as I chuckled. “I can speak for us two, Danny. We promise.” I said in English. I looked back at Sergi and he smiled. “Fine, fine. We promise.” Said Gómez, in castellano.

Denis and the girl made their way out of the row because that was obviously what they’d come for. “Enjoy your make-out session, mate!” screamed Danny and I rushed to sit down, wanting to hide my face from embarrassment but laughing all the same. Sergi lifted the arm of the chair from between us and slipped his arm around my shoulders. I got comfortable against him as the movie started. We watched a comedy movie and I laughed a lot.

The theater was pretty empty so it was really cold. About halfway through, I asked Sergi for his jacket and he took it off. I used it as a blanket as I brought my feet up to the chair and rested my head on his chest. Sergi tightened his arm around me every so often and whispered: “Want to leave?” but I always said no. He was worried about me and it was so sweet of him but I needed to stop thinking about that… As we made our way out of the theater, I took Sergi’s jacket off only to slip it on normally and I noticed it was his training jacket and had the FC Barcelona crest on it. I zipped it up and pulled on his hand so he would look back at me.

I pointed at the crest and lifted my eyebrows at him. “It was the one I had on. What did you want me to do?”… When they dropped us off at home, everyone went inside and I tried to follow but Sergi took my hand and pulled me back to him. “I’m coming upstairs. Open the window for me.” He left me no time to argue as he let go of my hand and let the guys know he was staying. I turned on my heel and ran upstairs, biting my lip like I did whenever something had to do with him…

He came in and closed the window behind him. I walked over from the bathroom, where I was brushing my teeth, and smiled at him. He took my hands in his and kissed me. “I’m staying over tonight.” He said as I took in a breath to argue, putting his index finger over my mouth. “No arguing. I have to make sure you sleep well. You and I both know you’ll have trouble sleeping tonight.” Dammit. He knew too much about me. I’ve told him that I worry about my family whenever something’s wrong and toss and turn all night. “

I’ve only told you that once. How do you remember?” He smiled and kissed me again. He pulled me toward the bed and let go of my hand so I could slip under the covers. I did and he slipped beside me. He sat up against the headboard and I sat beside him. “Lie down. Relax.” “But what about you? You have to sleep.” “Don’t worry about me. Just sleep.” He kissed my forehead and switched off the light. I rolled my eyes in the darkness and laid my head on his lap. He stroked my cheek and I thought I wouldn’t be able to sleep with someone watching because I’ve never done it but soon enough, I was unconscious.