Chapter 18

A/N: I've been excited to share these next two chapters with you guys for a very long while. I really hope you like them and please feel free to comment. Much love xx

Sergi’s P.O.V.

I didn’t know how I was going to tell her. I’d been debating it in my head all the way to my apartment and now I was at my door and I still didn’t know what to say. I braced myself taking a deep breath and unlocked the door. I opened it and found her lying on the couch, studying as usual. There was music playing through the speakers: instrumental flamenco. Only thing she can study with.

I smiled to myself as she didn’t even look up from her papers, her lips moving trying to read the words softly but out loud. I approached her and could only imagine how she would react in a few minutes. She was wearing one of last season’s training jersey’s that I’d left in my drawers, she’d finally given up on that “no wearing Barcelona jerseys” policy (at least inside the house). Her long hair loose on her shoulders, she looked so attractive.

I was so afraid to lose her once I told her. She finally acknowledged my presence and looked up. She smiled at me and I took one last step toward her, standing right behind the sofa. She put her books aside on the coffee table and addressed me. “Hi. How was…” She was about to ask how practice went but I gave her no chance as I took her face in my hands and resolved to kiss her for as long as oxygen allowed.

She kissed me back very willingly, pulling me toward the couch. I put my hands on the back of the couch and leaned over it, kissing her until her head was on the armrest and even longer after that. After I finally stopped for lack of air, she smiled widely and asked: “What was that for?” “No reason. I just love you. Isn’t that reason enough?” I joked as I made my way around the couch to sit next to her and maybe finally come out with it.

I looked at her as she smiled at me innocently, probably wondering why I was acting so strange, and I tried to frame this moment in my head in case I didn’t get another one. Suddenly, she brought her hands up to my face and started caressing my cheeks with her thumbs, her expression one of curiosity. “You look so tired. Want me to make you some coffee? I can…” I took her hands in mine to stop her. She’s hyper-active and moves really fast. “No, no. It’s fine.” I was tired. She had no idea what I’d gone through these past few days.

“Are you sure? Because you have bags under your eyes and…” “Ana María, I need to tell you something.” I said, my expression dead-serious. She looked into my eyes and her smile disappeared. “You can tell me anything.” She seemed to think it was something good and I knew that sparkle in her eye was about to disappear. “I have a trip later today.” She furrowed her brow and said: “Ok. I would’ve preferred you told me sooner but so what?” “You said yourself that I needed a chance to prove myself in first division so I’m thinking of joining an English or Italian club on loan.” She smiled widely and squeezed my hands, which were still holding hers.

“I think that’s great. I can come with you and help you decide.” “Yeah.” I took one last breath and looked down. “Thing is, you can’t come with me.” She chuckled nervously and asked: “What? Why? You know I know about this. You know I can help you.” “My parents said this was a family matter.” This is when she slipped her hands out of mine and stood up from the couch. “A family matter?! I live with you!” “My parents don’t know that!” I said loudly, looking at the ground. I lacked the courage to look her in the eye as I confessed my biggest secret.

She didn’t say anything for so long. I only saw her hands wringing the way-too-long sleeves of my shirt. I finally looked up and she had tears in her eyes. “What?” She whispered, her voice breaking. I stood up and approached her: “Ana María, I…” “Don’t even think about touching me.” I’d reached out to grab her hand but she slipped away, stepping back. She blinked various times and the tears were gone, a cold composure took over.

“Why? Why didn’t you tell them? Do I mean that little to you?” My heart was breaking. It was not like that at all. She eyed me one last time and the tears were back in her eyes. She walked toward our room and I let her. I heard the door lock from the living room. I went toward it and gave it one last shot.

“I have to go. My parents are waiting for me. But just know that it’s not like that at all. And most important: I love you. You’re the first girl that’s ever meant this much to me.” I sighed and propped myself on the door, kicking myself for being such a coward. I heard her sniffle inside and I knew she was crying. My heart broke into even smaller pieces. “I’ll call you before I leave. Take care. I love you.” I repeated but, once again, got no response.

 Ana María's P.O.V.

I was waiting until I heard the front door close to really start crying. I broke into uncontrollable sobs as I curled up into a fetal position on the bed. Our bed. How could he? After all we’ve been through. He’s been keeping the seriousness of our relationship from his parents this whole time. What else has he been hiding?

I thought about calling his parents and telling them everything but then decided against it because that would make me look like a heartbroken whore. It was shocking to me because I’d given myself to him in every possible sense and he had broken my trust. I felt betrayed, used; as if I meant nothing more than someone he slept with. My thoughts brought me to how strange Jordi the security guard had sounded the day we met. I knew he was hiding something and this was it. He must've known but he just wanted to protect me and our relationship.

Suddenly, my phone started ringing. I knew it wasn’t him because I had a different ringtone. I ran to it thinking it could be my parents but what I saw on the screen was: Sergi Roberto. I sniffled and tried to put on the best “I’m fine” act I could. “Hello.” I answered. “Hi, Ana María. How are you? You sound a little strange through the phone.” “Yeah, yeah. I’m fine. Just allergies.” I said, shrugging it off.

“Oh. Well I was just wondering if you would like to join some of us for a drink at the bar tonight. I mean, I know you don’t drink it’s just…well, you know what I mean.” So he had told his teammates about this. Sergi knew he wasn’t here and he probably knew exactly where he was going. I got even madder with this realization. As he babbled, I got a devilish idea. “Sure. I’d love to.” “Awesome. I’ll text you the details. See you tonight.” “See you.” I smiled to myself. I knew he was attracted to me and now I would take advantage of the situation.