Chapter 22

We had dinner and the night went very smoothly. It was awkward for me to see the people that had raised him and at the same time thinking about our very many romantic nights together.

At least there was no physical contact between us so things weren't that awkward. His parents talked between them and I looked at him for reassurance, nodding once as if asking: "Am I doing ok?" He winked and smiled in response and I took that as a yes...

His parents were saying goodbye to us at the door and we were all laughing about a joke Sergi's dad had just told. The laughs died down and his mom said: "All jokes aside though, sweetie, we think you're a catch for our Sergi. We really couldn't have picked better ourselves."

I nodded and smiled, looking down as she rubbed my shoulder. "Yeah, I didn't think he had it in him to make such a smart choice." His dad joked again and we all chuckled. Sergi wrapped his arm around my waist and I looked up at him, smiling adoringly. "Gee, thanks, dad." He joked. "Aw, this is so cute. Here, let me take a picture of you guys." His mom said excitedly.

I had noticed we hadn't really advertised much. I wasn't one for the selfies and he didn't push to anything I didn't like to do. He looked at me as if asking for permission and I nodded: "Sure." Sergi gave her his phone and we moved back toward the living room.

Sergi boldly wrapped his arms around my belly and I placed my hands over his. I looked up at him and smiled for half a second before looking back toward his mom but she had already taken the picture. "That was beautiful. I hope I captured that moment as beautiful as it was."

Sergi removed his hands from my body and showed me the picture. We looked exactly like what we were: two lovestruck youngsters. "Do you like it?" He asked, his breath hot on my face from out proximity. "I love it, it's beautiful. Thank you so much." I said, looking back at his mom.

"Thank you for making our son so happy while both of you stay focused on your goals. We couldn't have asked for more." Said his dad, wrapping his arm around his wife's waist. She nodded and smiled sweetly at me. "You kids should get going, it's getting late." She said as she came over to kiss me on both cheeks. I smiled and we said our goodbyes.

Sergi and I headed toward the car hand-in-hand and his parents waited to see us off on the porch. "You can breathe now. It's over." He joked and I sighed. "Your parents are the best." "I can't wait to meet yours in person." He smiled over at me before breaking eye-contact to wave away his parents.

Ana María's P.O.V.

It's been a month after our "Sergi" argument and he'd taken me to all the clubs that had made him offers. He hadn't come to a decision yet but I had already given him my opinion. I thought England was the way to go. Many other La Masía players had gone through that transition and come back stronger and better than ever.

It was for the best. It obviously meant I'd have to either look for a way to finish my studies in Liverpool or go back home. He was skeptical because he didn't know living anywhere else. And now there was me. He didn't want to leave me behind because he knew about the offer they'd made me to finish law here, get my degree and work at the United States embassy. I really had very few options as good as this one. We were at a tough passing where we'd have to make a tough decision one way or the other.

I looked blankly at the TV screen as I tried to pay attention to what I was watching in vain. I heard the doorknob turn and instantly smiled. Sergi. My Sergi.