Chapter 20

Sergi's P.O.V.

She was putting her shirt back on and I spoke: "How could you? You knew I felt intimidated by him." "Sergi, you left! You left without me. You left to make one of the most important decisions of your life without me. I felt used, betrayed..." "And how do you think I feel right now? What, you thought sleeping with him would even the playing field?"

"No! I...I just...I thought I meant nothing to you. That you wouldn't care what I did." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I knew I'd done wrong but that was no excuse to think ten months had meant nothing to me.

"You seriously think these ten months haven't meant anything to me?" "That's what it looked like." She had started crying almost since the argument started. I knew she cried when she got really angry.

I took a deep breath, putting my hands on my hips before letting her know what I'd done. "Well, you do. You mean everything to me. I told my parents." Her head shot up and she looked at me with tear-filled eyes; they also demonstrated shock.

"You did? What happened?" "You know what? I don't think I want to talk about it because I think I just made a huge mistake." I didn't know what I was saying until it was out of my mouth. I was obviously feeling it, not thinking it.

"I make one bad decision and you take no time at all to try and get revenge." I was raging mad and I saw the sadness in her eyes. She opened her mouth but had no words to say. "Take the bedroom. I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight."

She took off without thinking too much about it and locked herself in the master bedroom. Our argument replayed in my head and honestly, we were both at fault here. I thought it best to let our emotions settle before we actually talked about it...

I got up from the couch and went toward our room. I turned the knob and went inside to find the bed made and the room abnormally tidy. "Ana María?" I whispered. No answer. I walked further inside and tried the bathroom. Nothing.

I rushed toward our closet and all her stuff was gone. "Ana María! Ana María!" I ran through the whole house and she was nowhere to be seen. She had probably gone back home and I would never see her again.

I got up from the couch with a start, my forehead drenched in sweat. I had forgotten to turn on the heating so it must've been pretty cold but I was in my boxers and felt like I was suffocating.

That nightmare had taken the life out of me. I ran toward our room and pressed my ear against the door. I heard her sniffling inside. I looked at my watch and it was 3:14. She's been crying for more than three hours. I needed to hold her and I needed to hold her now.

That horrible nightmare made me realize that pride wasn't worth losing her. I knocked on the door. "Ana María. Ana María, let me in. Please." I heard her steps toward the door and the knob turned.