Chapter 21

Sergi's P.O.V.

She looked up at me and her eyes were red and puffy. I stepped toward her and took her face in my hands. I kissed each one of her eyelids and wrapped my arms around her. She wrapped her arms around my waist and cried into my chest.

"I'm sorry, Sergi. So sorry. You must think I'm a slut and it's not like that. I was just so hurt and it's so hard for me to think someone would care for me as much as you do. I thought maybe I'd been living a lie just like I have too many times before." I kissed her head and kept stroking her back.

"Don't think that. Don't ever think that." I pulled on her shoulders so she would face me. She looked at me shyly and I took her face in my hands, wiping the tears off with my thumbs. "Whatever may happen, this, what we have, is as real as it gets."

She nodded and smiled, tears slipping now out of joy. "I love you." "I love you, too. So much. I could never love anyone as much. Not even if you think they're a threat." "I believe you but I'd much rather not see you under him ever again." She laughed and pushed on my chest.

I laughed too as she placed her hand close to her face, showing me her fingers, the palm of her hand toward her. "If you like it then you should've put a ring on it." She sing-songed playfully and then laughed uncontrollably. I laughed but a few words were out of my mouth before I could stop them: "Maybe I will."

I laced my fingers with hers and brought our hands up to my lips to kiss hers. She chuckled and then frowned at my serious expression: "I was just kidding. I didn't mean..." "I know." I nodded, leading her toward our bed. We slipped under the covers and wordlessly agreed to not have sex. Not tonight.

Ana María's P.O.V.

Yes, I had done the whole rite of passage with the parents but this was equally terrifying. Maybe even worse because I had now actually defied them and had sent out their son to fight for me. They hadn't known I'd been living with him so now they had an idea of how we spent our nights.

I was very nervous as I tried to occupy my hands by destroying a napkin they happened to find. I looked out the window and tried to breathe calmly. I thanked God that Sergi had the music on loud so he wouldn't hear me.

He parked in front of his parents' place and surprised me by slipping his hand between mine before turning off the engine. I let go of the pieces of napkin I still had in my hands and he laced our fingers together.

"Stop being so nervous. My parents love you. I was the coward that didn't have it in me to tell them the whole truth and, once again, I'm sorry for that." He kissed the back of my hand and I breathed in and let it out slowly. "Ok. I'm ready."...